How Can Pitching Speed Be Affected by Uncertainty in Throwing Angle?

In summary, a baseball player wants to determine his pitching speed by standing on a ledge and throwing the ball horizontally, with a release point of 3.6 m above the ground. The ball lands 29.0 m away. Using equations for displacement and initial velocity, a pitching speed of 33.83 m/s is calculated. However, with uncertainty in the throwing angle of 5 degrees below or above horizontal, the minimum and maximum speeds that would result in the given distance must be determined. By forming a single equation and substituting in the expressions for the x and y components of the initial velocity, a formula is obtained to solve for V in terms of θ. This equation can be found in the textbook on page 91
mistabry

Homework Statement

A baseball player friend of yours wants to determine his pitching speed. You have him stand on a ledge and throw the ball horizontally so that his release point is 3.6 m above the ground. The ball lands 29.0 m away.

a. What is his pitching speed?

b. As you think about it, you realize that you're not sure he threw exactly horizontally. As you watch him throw, the pitches seem to vary from 5 degrees below horizontal to 5 degrees above horizontal. Given this uncertainty in his throwing angle, what are the minimum and maximum speeds that would give result in the distance measure given above?

Homework Equations

Δy = ViyΔt + .5g(Δt)2
Δx = VixΔt + 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Δy = 0 -3.6 = 0 + .5(-9.8)(Δt)2
Δt = 6/7

Δx = 29 - 0 = Vix * Δt
Vix = 29/(6/7) = 33.83 m/s <-- Pitching speed

I got the pitching speed (part a), but I can't seem to find a way to solve part b. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Viy = V sin(θ) and Viy [tex]\neq[/tex] 0
Vix = V cos(θ)

Do the math again, obtaining a single equation containing only Viy and Vix as variables (because the range, maximum x, is fixed). Substitute in the above expressions for Viy and Vix. Solve for V in terms of θ.

EDIT: Should have been Viy [tex]\neq[/tex] 0. I fixed it.

Last edited:
Still don't understand what you mean. Can you explain in more detail?

Take your two "Relevant equations" and form one equation where t has been eliminated (use the second equation to find an expression for t, substitute that into the first equation).

Then substitute the expressions for the x and y components of the initial velocity. You'll end up with an equation involving V and θ. Solve for V in terms of θ.

gneill said:
Viy = V sin(θ) and Vix [tex]\neq[/tex] 0
Vix = V cos(θ)

Do the math again, obtaining a single equation containing only Viy and Vix as variables (because the range, maximum x, is fixed). Substitute in the above expressions for Viy and Vix. Solve for V in terms of θ.
gneill is telling you to use Vsin(θ) instead of Viy in your y-component equation, and use Vcos(θ) instead of Vix in your x-component equation. Use ±5° for θ.

omg yall are too vague! but it did give me clues on what to look for. spent like 10 hours trying to figure this problem out, but finally got it. Those in mr. todd's class don't need to thank me.

um i don't know how to post formulas cause it comes out all weird but, i found the equation in another thread here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=315145
its the last post by GregD603. the equation should look something like this

y = (tanΘo)x - (g/2(Vo^2)cos^2Θo)x^2

y is vertical displacement and x horizontal displacement. theta is -5 and 5 plug everything in formula and solve for Vo and equation is also in the textbook on chap3 pg.91.

Lol Turbo, you're funny. This post was for DTodd's homework assignment xD! I hope you're going through the homework well! I did like all of the problems easily until I hit this one with its confusing words, but I finally got it! Aha

turbo21 said:
omg yall are too vague! but it did give me clues on what to look for. spent like 10 hours trying to figure this problem out, but finally got it. Those in mr. todd's class don't need to thank me.

um i don't know how to post formulas cause it comes out all weird but, i found the equation in another thread here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=315145
its the last post by GregD603. the equation should look something like this

y = (tanΘo)x - (g/2(Vo^2)cos^2Θo)x^2

y is vertical displacement and x horizontal displacement. theta is -5 and 5 plug everything in formula and solve for Vo and equation is also in the textbook on chap3 pg.91.

but if you make it so that it's solving for Vo then it'll have (29tan5)-3.6 as the numerator which would make it negative and that wouldn't workout since the fraction is square rooted. Or did I do something wrong?

Do you guys have solutions to any of the other ones? all I got so far was one and five and part b of 7

Last edited:

Related to How Can Pitching Speed Be Affected by Uncertainty in Throwing Angle?

1. What is the "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty"?

The "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty" refers to the maximum and minimum values of uncertainty that can be associated with the speed of an object or system. It is a measure of how much the speed of an object or system can vary from its average or expected value.

2. How is the "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty" calculated?

The "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty" is calculated by considering the factors that contribute to the uncertainty in the speed of an object or system, such as measurement errors, environmental factors, and inherent variability. These factors are then used to determine the maximum and minimum possible values of uncertainty.

3. Why is it important to consider the "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty"?

Considering the "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty" is important because it allows us to better understand and quantify the potential variability in the speed of an object or system. This information is crucial for making accurate predictions and decisions based on the speed of an object or system.

4. How does the "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty" affect scientific experiments and measurements?

The "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty" can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of scientific experiments and measurements. It is important to consider and control for the uncertainty in speed to ensure that the results of the experiment or measurement are valid and meaningful.

5. Can the "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty" be reduced or eliminated?

The "Max/Min of Speed Uncertainty" cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced through careful experimental design, precise measurements, and controlling for environmental factors. However, some level of uncertainty will always exist due to the inherent variability in the speed of objects and systems.