How can massless strings be the building blocks of matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of massless strings and their role in constructing massive objects. It is clarified that the strings themselves do not have mass, but they interact with other fundamental particles in a way that gives them an effective mass. There is a question about the speed at which strings move and how they provide stability for constructing the universe. The comparison to neutrinos as a candidate for dark matter is also mentioned, with the explanation that strings interact with the Higgs field in a similar way to matter particles. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the concept of strings and their role in the universe.
soothsayer
To clarify, I'm not confused as to how massless strings can add up to make massive objects, I understand why that happens. My question has more to do with the speed at which strings move. If strings are massless, they must travel at the speed of light, correct? If so, then first off, what is the difference between a string and a photon? Second, how do strings provide enough stability to construct all the massive objects in the universe? I am not moving at the speed of light, nor are the atoms in my body or the electrons and quarks that they are made of, but the strings that make up those quarks and electrons should be, according to relativity. I remember learning that neutrinos were once ruled out as a candidate for dark matter because they were too light and fast to provide the kind of foundation needed for the observed large scale structure of the universe. Why do strings not suffer a similar problem? Is my view of "strings" as tiny, vibrating little strands of energy inaccurate in some way? Any clarification on the subject would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The matter particles of the standard model are also fundamentally massless, but they interact with the Higgs field, and the nonzero energy density of the Higgs field, even in vacuum, gives them an effective mass. An implementation of the standard model within string theory would work in the same way - massless strings which interact with whatever fundamental degree of freedom plays the role of the Higgs, and thereby acquire an effective mass.

Related to How can massless strings be the building blocks of matter?

1. How can something with no mass be considered a building block of matter?

While it may seem counterintuitive, massless strings are considered the building blocks of matter in string theory. This is because they are the fundamental entities that make up all particles in the universe, including those with mass. These strings vibrate at different frequencies, and it is the way they vibrate that determines the properties of the particles they create. Therefore, even though the strings themselves have no mass, they give rise to particles with mass.

2. What evidence supports the existence of massless strings?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of massless strings. However, string theory is a mathematically consistent framework that has made several predictions about the nature of our universe, such as the existence of extra dimensions and the unification of fundamental forces. These predictions have been supported by experiments and observations, providing indirect evidence for the existence of massless strings.

3. Can massless strings explain the origin of mass in the universe?

While massless strings may not have mass themselves, they can interact with other strings and particles to give rise to mass. In string theory, the Higgs boson is thought to be a manifestation of the vibrations of these strings, and it is responsible for giving particles their mass. Therefore, massless strings play a crucial role in explaining the origin of mass in the universe.

4. How do massless strings relate to other theories of matter?

Massless strings are a key component of string theory, which is a theoretical framework that aims to unify all known forces and particles in the universe. This theory also incorporates elements of other theories, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of matter and the universe as a whole.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding massless strings?

At this point, the practical applications of understanding massless strings are mostly theoretical. However, string theory has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to advancements in fields such as quantum computing and energy production. Additionally, studying massless strings can help us further our understanding of fundamental particles and their interactions, which can have practical applications in fields like medicine and technology.