How can linear equations be solved using matrices?

In summary, the conversation discusses the arrangement of vertices in a triangle as a single matrix, the use of matrices in solving simultaneous equations, and the difference between an array and a matrix. The main confusion is about the placement of x values in the matrix for solving equations. The conversation ends with a clarification and expression of gratitude for the detailed response.
HMPARTICLE
Right, i don't believe this is a homework question. The only reason I am stating this is because PF are stringent with their rules.

I'm quite confused and I'm not sure how to explicitly state my problem.

The vertices of a triangle are (a,b) (c,d) and (e,f).
This can be arranged into a single matrix.

T = a c e
b d f

with brackets either side i know.

HOWEVER when solving simultaneous equations

2x-3y=5 and -5x+6y=-8

the matrix product

2 -3 X x = 5
-5 6 y 8

is used, so the x values take the first column in this form as oppose to the x values taking the first row in the triangle vertices matrix.

I HAVE TO STATE AGAIN THAT THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK QUESTION, IT IS JUST A MATTER OF CURIOSITY!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HMPARTICLE said:
Right, i don't believe this is a homework question. The only reason I am stating this is because PF are stringent with their rules.

I'm quite confused and I'm not sure how to explicitly state my problem.

The vertices of a triangle are (a,b) (c,d) and (e,f).
This can be arranged into a single matrix.

T = a c e
b d f

with brackets either side i know.
Wel, they can be arranged as the arrays
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & c & e \\ b & d & f \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
or as
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \\ e & f\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
But to what purpose? What do you want to do with that array?
(The difference between an "array" and a "matrix" is that a matrix has operations of addition and multiplication defined while an array is simply a way of exhibiting connected numbers.)

HOWEVER when solving simultaneous equations

2x-3y=5 and -5x+6y=-8

the matrix product

2 -3 X x = 5
-5 6 y 8
Yes, using the standard definition of matrix multiplication
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & -3 \\ -5 & 6 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}2x- 3y \\ -5x+ 6y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}5 \\ 8 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

is used, so the x values take the first column in this form as oppose to the x values taking the first row in the triangle vertices matrix.

I HAVE TO STATE AGAIN THAT THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK QUESTION, IT IS JUST A MATTER OF CURIOSITY!
Curious about what? There is NO question here. What are you trying to ask?

If you have a situation with data in (x,y) coordinates, there is no general rule about whether the x data must go along a column of a matrix or a row of the matrix.

In solving equations using matrices it's traditional to have a column vector of unknowns multiplied on the left by a matrix, when you do that, you don't have any choice about how you put the coefficients in the matrix since you must recreate the equations when the multiplication is performed. If you went against tradition, you could express the equations as a row vector of unknowns multiplied on the right by a matrix of coefficents. Then you'd have to write the coeffients in the matrix in a different order.

I don't know the context for your example using vertices of a triangle.. Where you reading some math where they must be written into a matrix that way?

Thanks. So, when vertices of a shape are defined in that way it's called an array. I see now.

The simultaneous equations part is also clear, the l.h.s of the equation is a product of a transformation matrix and a vector.

Thanks for the detailed response!

To steph it's from a further pure textbook.

By the way, you are mistaken about "the x values take the first column in this form". It was the coefficients of x, not the "x values" that are in the first column.

Yes thanks for pointing that out! As it's a transformation matrix multiplied by the vector. I'm an undergrad due to start in sept! Just brushing up on my matrices! Thanks guys

Related to How can linear equations be solved using matrices?

What are linear equations and matrices?

Linear equations are mathematical expressions that represent the relationship between variables. They typically have the form of y = mx + b, where m and b are constants and x is a variable. Matrices, on the other hand, are rectangular arrays of numbers that can be used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations.

How do you solve a system of linear equations using matrices?

To solve a system of linear equations using matrices, you must first write the equations in matrix form. Then, you can use techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion to solve for the variables. Additionally, you can use the inverse of the coefficient matrix to solve the system.

What is the relationship between linear equations and matrices?

Linear equations and matrices are closely related because matrices can be used to represent linear equations. The coefficients of a linear equation can be written as a matrix, and the process of solving a system of linear equations can be simplified by using matrix operations.

What are some real-life applications of linear equations and matrices?

Linear equations and matrices have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics. They can be used to model real-world situations, analyze data, and solve complex problems.

What is the difference between a linear equation and a nonlinear equation?

A linear equation has a constant rate of change, meaning that the relationship between the variables is always a straight line. A nonlinear equation, on the other hand, does not have a constant rate of change and may have a curved or irregular graph. Nonlinear equations are generally more complex and may require different methods to solve them.