How Can Lifting Line Theory Be Applied in MATLAB for Aircraft Wing Design?

In summary, the speaker is a student studying aerospace engineering and is working on their final year project, "Development of Aircraft Wing Design Tool using MATLAB". They are seeking help and advice as they are confused about how to approach the project and are not proficient in MATLAB. They ask for others to send them their reports and code, but another speaker suggests they should find a project that interests them and recommends studying lifting line theory or using a vortex lattice code. The speaker offers to help with specific questions but reminds the original speaker to put in effort before asking for assistance.
mimranhasan
Hi guys,

I am studying aerospace engineering doing my final year. I am doing my final year project which is called "Development of Aircraft Wing Design Tool using MATLAB". It is basically to create a basic tool which will help a designer to design wings. I am totally confused on how to go about it. One of my seniors advised me to go for lifting line theory and I barely have any idea about it.
I am not that good in MATLAB either. I really need some help now. If any of you guys have done anything related to wing design tool or lifting line theory using MATLAB please please email me your report and the MATLAB program files to me so that i can get some ideas.
<< personal e-mail address removed by Moderator >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone will email you their final report or their code. Seems pretty dishonest to me.

Don't you think you should work on a project that interests you in some way and in which you at least have some background? Or did you not have a choice on this topic?

Either way the first thing you should do is get a good textbook and start reading about lifting line. It is a fairly straightforward method although not very useful for designing a wing. A more useful tool would be a vortex lattice code. Though it would certainly take more of an effort. There already exists an open source MATLAB vortex lattice code.

If you have any specific questions about any of these methods I would be happy to help but I believe a major rule of this forum is that you must show you have put in a decent amount of effort before people will assist you with school work.

Related to How Can Lifting Line Theory Be Applied in MATLAB for Aircraft Wing Design?

1. What is lifting line theory?

Lifting line theory is a method used in aerodynamics to calculate the lift distribution along a wing. It assumes that the wing is infinitely long and has a constant cross-sectional shape. This theory is commonly used to analyze the performance of aircraft wings.

2. How is MATLAB used in lifting line theory?

MATLAB is a programming software that can be used to create a numerical model of a wing using lifting line theory. It allows for the calculation of lift distribution and other aerodynamic parameters, making it a useful tool for analyzing and designing wings.

3. What are the limitations of lifting line theory?

Lifting line theory is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as wing shape, airfoil profile, and wingtip effects. It also assumes that the air flow is two-dimensional and constant, which may not be accurate for all wing designs.

4. How can I use MATLAB to improve my understanding of lifting line theory?

MATLAB can be used to create visualizations of the lift distribution along a wing and to analyze the effects of different parameters such as wing angle of attack and airfoil shape. This can help in gaining a better understanding of the theory and its applications.

5. Are there any resources available for learning about lifting line theory and MATLAB?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, courses, and books available that cover both lifting line theory and MATLAB. Additionally, there are forums and communities where you can ask questions and get help from other scientists and engineers who have experience in this field.