How can information possibly be created?

• I
  • Thread starter Dalton bevill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, information can be created through various means such as observation, experimentation, and communication. It can also be generated through the use of technology and data processing methods. However, the most important aspect of creating information is the human mind and its ability to interpret and analyze data, leading to the generation of new knowledge and understanding. This process is constantly evolving and expanding as new information is constantly being created and shared.
Dalton bevill
Isnt the creation of information the same as the creation of mass, or energy, in other words, not possIble? If I am an electron and at time =0 , my position and velocity are x y z and p q r, how can i have gained information when my position and velocity at time T are x2 y2 z2 and p2 r2 q2?
My position and velocity have not become more detailed, so what gives? If the universe is deterministic, than how can information be injected into the system?

Physics news on Phys.org
These may help answer your question:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/physics/2014/04/is-information-fundamental/

and this where quantum information is neither created nor destroyed:

(PhysOrg.com) -- In the classical world, information can be copied and deleted at will. In the quantum world, however, the conservation of quantum information means that information cannot be created nor destroyed. This concept stems from two fundamental theorems of quantum mechanics: the no-cloning theorem and the no-deleting theorem.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2011-03-quantum-no-hiding-theorem-experimentally.html#jCp

Likes sdkfz
jedishrfu said:
These may help answer your question:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/physics/2014/04/is-information-fundamental/

and this where quantum information is neither created nor destroyed:
Read it. Didnt really help. I don't understand how given a pile of legos the lego castle becomes more than can be described by the OG pile of legos.

Dalton bevill said:
If I am an electron and at time =0 , my position and velocity are x y z and p q r, how can i have gained information when my position and velocity at time T are x2 y2 z2 and p2 r2 q2?

Who says you have gained information? In what source (textbook or peer-reviewed paper) is that claim being made?

PeterDonis said:
Who says you have gained information? In what source (textbook or peer-reviewed paper) is that claim being made?
Reading about information being equivalent to entropy (i.e. Shannon entropy). So if a gas expands to fill a larger volume, its entropy obviously has increased, but i don't understand how that means the system has gained information. The way i see it the info of where the molecules will be in the current (expanded) volume should be present in the previous (condensed) volume.

Dalton bevill said:
Reading about information being equivalent to information (i.e. Shannon entropy).

Where? Please give specific references to textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.

As a brief comment, "information" in the sense of Shannon information (which is actually the inverse of entropy) is not the same as "information" in the sense that term is being used when it is said that "information is conserved". Shannon information is in general not conserved (for the same reason that entropy is in general not conserved).

PeterDonis said:
Where? Please give specific references to textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.

As a brief comment, "information" in the sense of Shannon information (which is actually the inverse of entropy) is not the same as "information" in the sense that term is being used when it is said that "information is conserved". Shannon information is in general not conserved (for the same reason that entropy is in general not conserved).
Oh. From my reading the idea of information going down as entropy increased was a misconception of the situation but more importantly I also had felt that information (in the sense of total amount of bits required to describe a particle or system) seemed different from entropy (for some of the reasons i had stated). Do you have a link to any of the sources on how they differ? I am currently trying to find an explanation i read on a college professors website explaning how entanglement caused the total information to remain constant even with growing entropy. I couldn't help but fall in love with that idea because of my view that information growing was paradoxical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dalton bevill said:
From my reading

I said, please give specific references. Until you do so, this thread is closed. Send me the references by PM.

Related to How can information possibly be created?

1. How is information created?

Information is created through a process of collecting, organizing, and analyzing data. This data can come from various sources such as observations, experiments, or existing information. By understanding patterns and relationships within the data, new information can be derived and added to the existing body of knowledge.

2. Can information be created out of nothing?

No, information cannot be created out of nothing. It always has a source, whether it is through observation, experimentation, or existing knowledge. However, new information can be created by combining and interpreting existing information in new ways.

3. What role do humans play in creating information?

Humans play a crucial role in creating information. By using our cognitive abilities, we can observe and interpret the world around us, conduct experiments, and develop theories and concepts. Our ability to communicate and share information also allows for the creation and dissemination of knowledge.

4. Can technology create information?

Technology can aid in the creation of new information, but it cannot create information on its own. Technology can analyze and process large amounts of data, but it still requires human input to make sense of the results and draw conclusions.

5. How does the creation of information impact society?

The creation of information is essential for the advancement of society. New information leads to new discoveries, innovations, and technologies that can improve our quality of life. It also allows us to better understand the world around us and make informed decisions. However, it is important to critically evaluate and verify information to ensure its accuracy and avoid misinformation.