How can I write an Email to Professor?

In summary, if you are an undergraduate and are interested in contacting a physicist to ask a question, you should try to find a professor in your department who works in that field and ask them to help you out. Alternatively, you can try to contact the author directly, but be prepared to answer any questions they may have.
yicong2011
Recently, I am reading a paper from Ezra T Newman (in Pittsburg); I want to Email him to ask him a question about his paper.

Unfortunately, I am an undergraduate have no such experiences. How should I write? Is there any templete?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you're very familiar with the professor then you should address him formally. Use "Dr. Newman" as his name. Always assume they have a PhD and address as "Dr. Last Name" unless they have their masters, in which case "Professor Last Name" is sufficient. Some PhD's will be ok with with calling them Professor but others might be offended, so default to Dr.

For example...

Dr. Newman,

I recently read your aticle on ... and was interested about ...

Thanks,
Your full name

There's no real trick to it. Be formal and polite.

Most journals that I'm familiar with require you to include an email address for correspondence in the article and this is exactly what the purpose is for.

I get the occasional email from students interested in work I've published and I'm happy to answer them - even if I don't answer right away due to time constraints.

mrmiller1 said:
Unless you're very familiar with the professor then you should address him formally. Use "Dr. Newman" as his name. Always assume they have a PhD and address as "Dr. Last Name" unless they have their masters, in which case "Professor Last Name" is sufficient. Some PhD's will be ok with with calling them Professor but others might be offended, so default to Dr.

For example...

Dr. Newman,

I recently read your aticle on ... and was interested about ...

Thanks,
Your full name

This is excellent advice and you should follow it. I've been thrilled to get email from interested undergraduates the few times it has happened, and I suspect Dr. Newman would be as well. So go ahead and write to him!

May I suggest before you write to him, you ask your question of a professor in your dept who works in that field. You don't want to ask him to waste his time explaining something you easily could have looked up yourself.

eri said:
May I suggest before you write to him, you ask your question of a professor in your dept who works in that field. You don't want to ask him to waste his time explaining something you easily could have looked up yourself.

I want to ask Newman about his magic derivation from Schwarzschild Metric to Kerr Metric, and from R-N metric to Kerr-Newman Metric.

I don't think anyone in my department knows about it...

Last edited:
yicong2011 said:
I want to ask Newman about his magic derivation from Schwarzschild Metric to Kerr Metric, and from R-N metric to Kerr-Newman Metric.

I don't think anyone in my department knows about it...

Is there no one working on relativity in your department? They may be able to give you some help even if they don't know the details. You then try to work out as much details as you can, and *then* you can email the author to clarify the part you are not clear with. In that case he can answer more specifically.

Anyway... couldn't resist this: :-p

phd072508s.gif

yenchin said:
Is there no one working on relativity in your department? They may be able to give you some help even if they don't know the details. You then try to work out as much details as you can, and *then* you can email the author to clarify the part you are not clear with. In that case he can answer more specifically.

Or they might have contacts who are more involved in the field, and be willing to ask on your behalf (although if they don't offer, don't suggest it). That might be true of any physics professor at your school, actually.

I agree with most everyone here, just email the guy and use common sense.

The guy spent a lot time, effort and possibly money earning his doctorate. SO address him by Dr or Professor. Be polite, be coherent. Outside of that, just be honest with your questions. Chances are, if you are reading a published research article and you are an undergrad, a lot of stuff went over your head. Thats ok. Don't feel like you will ask a stupid question, it's cool enough that an undergrad will take the time to read and challenge himself with something that would typically be above his level.

Again, just be polite, and coherent. You'll be fine.

yicong2011 said:

You can ask your question even here, at PhysicsForums, it is always possible someone will be able to help or at least point you in the right direction

That's not to stop you from contacting the author directly, but the better you are prepared, the better questions you can ask, the higher the chances you will be treated seriously and will get a good answer.

mrmiller1 said:
Unless you're very familiar with the professor then you should address him formally. Use "Dr. Newman" as his name. Always assume they have a PhD and address as "Dr. Last Name" unless they have their masters, in which case "Professor Last Name" is sufficient. Some PhD's will be ok with with calling them Professor but others might be offended, so default to Dr...

Careful if you are trying to apply this advice to other countries than the USA.

In the UK, "Professor" is the highest academic title you can get. Addressing a UK MSc student this way would be like calling a Whitehouse staffer "Mr President"...

Check the paper, or Google him! If you still can't find a title, then use "Dr". If he is a UK Professor then I doubt he will be upset, at most he will reply with "Professor..." in his signature, to give you a hint...

All in all, default to Dr is great advice for the UK as well as the USA... I'd hazard using it for other European countries, though (again) check on the web. Germany tends to be very formal. Any thoughts on the best designation there for someone really senior? I have vague memories of long titles like "Herr Professor Dr" being used... I just did a Google search on that... try it... a real can of worms...:eek:

Related to How can I write an Email to Professor?

1. How should I address the professor in the email?

The best way to address a professor in an email is by using their formal title, such as "Dr." or "Professor," followed by their last name. This shows respect and professionalism. If you are unsure of their preferred title, you can also use their full name.

2. What information should I include in the subject line?

The subject line of your email should be clear and concise, and should summarize the purpose of your email. It is best to include your name, the course or topic you are contacting the professor about, and the purpose of your email. For example, "John Smith - Request for Meeting to Discuss Research Project."

3. How long should the email be?

Your email should be brief and to the point. Professors are busy and receive many emails, so it is best to keep your email concise and focused. Aim for no more than 3-4 paragraphs, and make sure to clearly state your purpose and any important details.

4. Is it appropriate to use informal language or emojis in the email?

No, it is not appropriate to use informal language or emojis in an email to a professor. Your email should be written in a professional and respectful tone. Avoid using slang, abbreviations, or any language that may be considered inappropriate in an academic setting.

5. Should I proofread and edit my email before sending it?

Yes, it is crucial to proofread and edit your email before sending it to a professor. Make sure to check for any spelling or grammatical errors, and ensure that your email is clear and easy to understand. This will show that you are taking the communication seriously and are putting effort into it.