How Can I Use Delta and Epsilon to Understand Limits in Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of limits in calculus and the use of the \epsilon-\delta criterion to prove a limit. The author of the text used a substitution of \delta = \frac{\epsilon}{3} to show that |f(x)-6|<\epsilon whenever 0<|x-2|<\delta. This proved the limit of the function f(x) = 3x as x approaches 2 is 6. The conversation also clarified that the book did not set 3|x-2|=\epsilon, but rather used 3|x-2|<3\delta as a step in the proof. Lastly, it was explained that in order to prove a limit, one must show
razored
[SOLVED] Help Deciphering limit text

"The function [tex]f(x) = 3x[/tex] aproaches the limit 6 as [tex]x\rightarrow 2[/tex]. In fact, given any [tex]\epsilon > 0 [/tex], choose [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon} {3}[/tex]. We then have
[tex]|f(x)-6|=|3x-6|=3|x-2|<3\delta = \epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]0<|x-2|<\delta[/tex]."

How is the book allowed to set [tex]3|x-2|<3\delta[/tex](the 3 * delta), and better yet,
[tex]3|x-2|=\epsilon[/tex](= epsilon)? I thought the limit designated to them was delta alone, not 3 delta. In addition, how are they allowed to set it equal to epsilon?

I am really trying to understand this; I realize the answer to my questions may seem, "elementary", but I am trying to master the basics of Calculus(currently in pre-calculus).

Physics news on Phys.org
It is [tex]3|x-2|<\epsilon[/tex] rather than [tex]3|x-2|=\epsilon[/tex]

By definition of the [tex]\epsilon-\delta[/tex] criterion of a point.
[tex]\forall \epsilon>0,\exists \delta>0 [/tex]
[tex] |f(x)-f(x_{0})|<\epsilon[/tex] if [tex]|x-x_{0}|<\delta[/tex]

The author of that text used [tex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{3}[/tex], substitute that back into
[tex]3|x-2|<\delta[/tex]. The trick is that we must find a [tex]\delta>0[/tex] such that [tex]|3x-6| < \epsilon [/tex]

[tex]|x-x_{0}|< \delta[/tex] The definition
[tex]|3x-6|< \delta[/tex] substitution
[tex]3|x-2|<\delta[/tex] Factoring
I know the author substituted, but if he substituted [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon}{3}[/tex] into the equation, he would get [tex]3|x-2|<\frac {\epsilon}{3}[/tex]; not [tex]3|x-2|<3\delta[/tex]. I'm not catching on.

Also, you mentioned "The trick is that we must find a [tex] \delta>0[/tex] such that [tex] |3x-6|<\epsilon[/tex]." Another question, how do we know what we are actually looking for, the epsilon or the delta?

Thanks a bunch.

razored said:
"The function [tex]f(x) = 3x[/tex] aproaches the limit 6 as [tex]x\rightarrow 2[/tex]. In fact, given any [tex]\epsilon > 0 [/tex], choose [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon} {3}[/tex]. We then have
[tex]|f(x)-6|=|3x-6|=3|x-2|<3\delta = \epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]0<|x-2|<\delta[/tex]."

How is the book allowed to set [tex]3|x-2|<3\delta[/tex](the 3 * delta)
It didn't "set" it. It is saying that if [itex]|x-2|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]3|x-2|< 3\delta[/itex], multiplying both sides of the inequality by 3.

, and better yet,
[tex]3|x-2|=\epsilon[/tex](= epsilon)?
It isn't and I'll bet the book doesn't say that. Starting from [itex]|x-2|< \delta[/itex], multiply both sides of the inequality by 3 to get [itex]3|x-2|< 3\delta[/itex]. Now, since [itex]\delta[/itex] is defined to be [itex]\epsilon/3[/itex], it follows that [itex]3\delta= \epsilon[/itex] so [itex]3|x- 2|= |3x- 6|< \epsilon[/itex].

I thought the limit designated to them was delta alone, not 3 delta. In addition, how are they allowed to set it equal to epsilon?[/itex]
Designated what to be "delta alone"? |x- 2| is given as less than [itex]\delta[/itex], not 3|x-2|.

I am really trying to understand this; I realize the answer to my questions may seem, "elementary", but I am trying to master the basics of Calculus(currently in pre-calculus).

Also, you mentioned "The trick is that we must find a such that ." Another question, how do we know what we are actually looking for, the epsilon or the delta?
The definition of "[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= L[/itex]" is "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] , there exist [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that if [itex]0< |x-a|< \delta[/itex], then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]".

To "prove" that a limit is correct, you have to show that definition is true. You are given [itex]epsilon[/itex], it could be any number. You need to prove that such a [itex]\delta[/itex] exists and a very good way of showing something exists is to find it. "Given" [itex]\epsilon[/itex], you need to find (and so are "looking for") [itex]delta[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
It didn't "set" it. It is saying that if [itex]|x-2|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]3|x-2|< 3\delta[/itex], multiplying both sides of the inequality by 3.

It isn't and I'll bet the book doesn't say that. Starting from [itex]|x-2|< \delta[/itex], multiply both sides of the inequality by 3 to get [itex]3|x-2|< 3\delta[/itex]. Now, since [itex]\delta[/itex] is defined to be [itex]\epsilon/3[/itex], it follows that [itex]3\delta= \epsilon[/itex] so [itex]3|x- 2|= |3x- 6|< \epsilon[/itex].

I thought the limit designated to them was delta alone, not 3 delta. In addition, how are they allowed to set it equal to epsilon?[/itex]
Designated what to be "delta alone"? |x- 2| is given as less than [itex]\delta[/itex], not 3|x-2|.

The definition of "[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= L[/itex]" is "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] , there exist [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that if [itex]0< |x-a|< \delta[/itex], then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]".

To "prove" that a limit is correct, you have to show that definition is true. You are given [itex]epsilon[/itex], it could be any number. You need to prove that such a [itex]\delta[/itex] exists and a very good way of showing something exists is to find it. "Given" [itex]\epsilon[/itex], you need to find (and so are "looking for") [itex]delta[/itex].
Ok, that clears up most of my confusion. Thanks again Halls of Ivy!

Related to How Can I Use Delta and Epsilon to Understand Limits in Calculus?

1. What is "limit text" and why is it important?

"Limit text" refers to a specific portion of text that has been set as a maximum length for a piece of written content. It is important because it helps to ensure that the content is concise and to the point, making it easier to read and understand.

2. How do I determine the appropriate length for limit text?

The appropriate length for limit text may vary depending on the specific context and purpose of the written content. However, a general rule of thumb is to keep it between 50-150 words, as this is typically the attention span of most readers.

3. Can I exceed the limit text if I have more information to convey?

While it is important to stick to the designated limit text, there may be instances where it is necessary to exceed it. In these cases, it is important to prioritize the most important information and find creative ways to present it in a concise manner.

4. How do I make sure my limit text is effective?

To ensure that your limit text is effective, it is important to focus on the key message you want to convey and use clear, concise language. It may also be helpful to have someone else read and provide feedback on your limit text to ensure it effectively captures the main points.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can help with deciphering limit text?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can assist with deciphering limit text. These include using bullet points, headings, and subheadings to break up the content, as well as utilizing editing software or online word counters to help keep track of the word count.