How can I solve two fluid problems involving a raft and pressure?

• Thread starter insideout
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the first question asks how far below the water's surface a raft will sink based on its dimensions and density. The second question asks at what depth a certain absolute pressure occurs in a freshwater lake, taking into account atmospheric pressure and water density. To solve the first question, one must find the weight of the raft and the volume of water displaced, then use the raft's dimensions to determine how far it will sink. For the second question, one must remember the concept of absolute pressure and how it changes with depth in a fluid.
insideout
Hey, these two questions are off a take home test I was given. I could use a good grade on them so could anyone give me a hand? thanks

A raft with a length of 8.0m, a width of 1.6m, a thickness of 0.11m, and a density of 690.0kg/m^3 is placed in a river. How far below the water's surface does the bottom of the raft sink? (recall that fresh water has a density of 1.00x10^3 kg/m^3)

The absolute pressure below the surface of a freshwater lake is 2.43 x 10^5 Pa. At what depth does this pressure occur? Assume that atmospheric pressure is 1.01 x 10^5 Pa and that the density of the water is 1.00 x 10^3 kg/m^3.

Physics news on Phys.org
So the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the water displaced right? If the raft floats the buoyant force is equal and opposite of the weight of the raft.

Find the weight of the raft and find how much water must be displaced. Then you can find the volume of the raft needed to be below the surface and consequently, how far it sinks.

Your second question is easy. Remember what absolute pressure is and how pressure changes with depth in a fluid.

alright so i figured out the second one, but I am really at a loss for the first one. could someone show step by step how to do it? thanks :D

insideout said:
alright so i figured out the second one, but I am really at a loss for the first one. could someone show step by step how to do it? thanks :D

Buoyancy is equal to [tex] \rho_{water}gV_{dis} [/tex]. Find the weight of the raft. Set that equal to the preceding equation and find the volume of water displaced. The raft has a constant area so find how far down the raft must go to displace the appropriate volume of water.

Related to How can I solve two fluid problems involving a raft and pressure?

1. What are the two main problems on fluids?

The two main problems on fluids are fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics.

2. How are fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics different?

Fluid mechanics deals with the behavior of fluids at rest or in motion, while fluid dynamics focuses on the study of how fluids move and interact with their surroundings.

3. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics?

Fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics are used in a variety of fields, including aerospace engineering, environmental science, and chemical engineering. They are also important in understanding weather patterns and ocean currents.

4. What are some key principles in fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics?

Some key principles in fluid mechanics include continuity, Bernoulli's principle, and viscosity. In fluid dynamics, important principles include the Navier-Stokes equations and the conservation of momentum and energy.

5. How do scientists study fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics?

Scientists use mathematical models, computer simulations, and experimental techniques to study fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics. They also conduct experiments in controlled environments, such as wind tunnels or water tanks, to observe and measure fluid behavior.