How can I solve this nonlinear ODE homework on Apollo reentry?

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum acceleration of a rocket given an equation for velocity in terms of time and position. The trick is to use the relationship between velocity and position to create a differential equation for the acceleration, which can then be solved to find the maximum acceleration. The solution for part a) may differ slightly from the answer provided in the problem.
Mr.Waka

Homework Statement

http://www.math.udel.edu/~moulton/Apollo%20EC.pdf
This is the full problem that I am working on for my ODE class.

Homework Equations

I would figure acceleration equals the second derivative so a=d^2s/dt^2
and V=ds/dt like the hint says.

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked over the examples of Nonlinear ODEs but they all have 2 variables instead of just one like this one. I was looking for an integrating factor but none of that works out I think. I tried to integrate it by parts twice but that lead to a jumbled mess. I tried to subsitute s in terms of V but that didnt work to well either.

For me the only trouble that I am having is the fact that its a nonlinear problem with really only one variable because V is in terms of S

And looking at a,b and c all of them don't deal with the s variable. I'm not too sure where in the math that it gets canceled out. In fact each step seems to reduce the variables needed.

Im just not sure how to tackle the problem. The math shouldn't be bad but I can't find a place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A common trick you can use is that dv/ds = (dv/dt)*(dt/ds) = (dv/dt)*1/v = d^2 s/dt^2 * 1/v. Since d^2 s/dt^2 is given in terms of v and s, you get a differential equation for dv/ds which you can solve easily by separating. After solving for v you plug that in the original equation to get an equation for a in terms of s. Then you can find the maximum of a by finding what a is when a'(s) = 0. When I did this, the answer I got for part a) was off from what they got by a factor of 1/2, however I got the same thing they did for part b)...

Related to How can I solve this nonlinear ODE homework on Apollo reentry?

1. What is the Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE?

The Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE is a mathematical model that describes the dynamics of a spacecraft during reentry into Earth's atmosphere. It takes into account various factors such as air resistance, gravity, and control inputs to predict the trajectory and behavior of the spacecraft during reentry.

2. Why is the Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE important?

The Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of a spacecraft during reentry. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety and success of space missions.

3. How is the Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE solved?

The Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE is solved using numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, which involves breaking down the equations into smaller, simpler steps and solving them iteratively.

4. What are the limitations of the Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE?

The Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE has several limitations, such as assuming a constant atmospheric density and not taking into account factors such as wind and turbulence. It also does not account for thermal effects on the spacecraft during reentry.

5. How has the Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE been used in space exploration?

The Apollo Reentry Nonlinear ODE has been used in various space missions, including the Apollo program, to predict the behavior of spacecraft during reentry. It has also been used to analyze and improve the design of spacecraft for future missions.