How Can I Solve These Vectors and Kinematics Exam Problems?

In summary, the person is asking for help with exam questions and has some answers but is struggling to solve the problems. The questions involve finding the magnitude of A, the initial speed of a ball shot into the air, the angle traveled by a rotating crankshaft, the initial speed of a bullet fired from a cliff, the tension in a string holding up an object in an elevator, and the magnitude of acceleration for a block on an inclined surface. They are seeking help but have not shown any of their attempts yet.
sabah
can someone please help me with these questionss... i have exam this week and i really need to know hwo to solve these problems. please... thank you and ya.. i do have the answers for it but i just can't get it when i try to solve it these problems are from my mid-term exam

(1) if B is added to A, the resultant has a x-component of 6 and a y-component of 1. if B is subtracted from A, the resultant vector has a x-component of -4 and a y component of 7. what is the magnitude of A?

(2) A ball is shot straight up from the surface of the Earth with an initial speed. neglect any effects due to air resistance, find the intial speed of the ball if the ball was in the air for 2 seconds?

(3) a crankshaft of radius 0.3m rotates at a speed of 1.2 m/s. though what angle does it travel in 1/2 minute.

(4) a bullet is fired with a horizontal velocity in the positive x direction from the top of an 80 m high cliff. the bullet strikes the ground 1330 m from the base of the cliff. find the initial speed of the bullet.

(5) a 5.0 kg object is suspended by a string whose mass is negligible from the ceiling of an evelator that is acceletaring downward at 2.6 m/s square. what is the tension in the string?

(6) a block is pushed up a frictionless 30 degree inclined by an applied force. if F=25 N and M=3.0 kg, what is the magnitude of the resulting acceleration of the block?

Physics news on Phys.org
sabah said:
can someone please help me with these questionss... i have exam this week and i really need to know hwo to solve these problems. please... thank you and ya.. i do have the answers for it but i just can't get it when i try to solve it these problems are from my mid-term exam

(1) if B is added to A, the resultant has a x-component of 6 and a y-component of 1. if B is subtracted from A, the resultant vector has a x-component of -4 and a y component of 7. what is the magnitude of A?

(2) A ball is shot straight up from the surface of the Earth with an initial speed. neglect any effects due to air resistance, find the intial speed of the ball if the ball was in the air for 2 seconds?

(3) a crankshaft of radius 0.3m rotates at a speed of 1.2 m/s. though what angle does it travel in 1/2 minute.

(4) a bullet is fired with a horizontal velocity in the positive x direction from the top of an 80 m high cliff. the bullet strikes the ground 1330 m from the base of the cliff. find the initial speed of the bullet.

(5) a 5.0 kg object is suspended by a string whose mass is negligible from the ceiling of an evelator that is acceletaring downward at 2.6 m/s square. what is the tension in the string?

(6) a block is pushed up a frictionless 30 degree inclined by an applied force. if F=25 N and M=3.0 kg, what is the magnitude of the resulting acceleration of the block?

Hi,

I'm sorry but we cannot help you until you show some of your attempts first. .

(1) To solve this problem, we can use vector addition and subtraction. Let's say that A has components Ax and Ay and B has components Bx and By. We know that when B is added to A, the resultant vector has components 6 and 1, so we can set up the following equations:

Ax + Bx = 6
Ay + By = 1

Similarly, when B is subtracted from A, the resultant vector has components -4 and 7, so we can set up the following equations:

Ax - Bx = -4
Ay - By = 7

Now we have four equations and four unknowns, so we can solve for Ax, Ay, Bx, and By. Once we have those values, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of A:

|A| = √(Ax^2 + Ay^2)

(2) To find the initial speed of the ball, we can use the kinematic equation:

y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2

Since the ball starts at the surface of the Earth, y0 = 0. We also know that the ball is in the air for 2 seconds, so t = 2. We can assume that the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8 m/s^2. Plugging in these values, we get:

0 = 0 + v0(2) + 1/2(-9.8)(2)^2
v0 = 19.6 m/s

(3) To find the angle traveled by the crankshaft, we can use the formula:

θ = ωt

Where ω is the angular velocity and t is the time. We are given the angular velocity (1.2 m/s) and the time (1/2 minute = 30 seconds), so we can plug those values in to get:

θ = (1.2 m/s)(30 s) = 36 radians

(4) To find the initial speed of the bullet, we can use the kinematic equation:

x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2

Since the bullet is fired horizontally, the initial vertical position (y0) and acceleration (a) are both 0. We also know that the final horizontal position (x) is 1330 m, the initial horizontal position (x

Related to How Can I Solve These Vectors and Kinematics Exam Problems?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction and its length represents the magnitude.

2. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, including both magnitude and direction. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes the rate of change of an object's position, without considering direction.

3. How do you calculate the displacement of an object using vectors?

The displacement of an object can be calculated by finding the difference between its initial and final positions, considering both magnitude and direction. This can be done by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector.

4. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves the study of displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

5. How do vectors and kinematics relate to each other?

Vectors are an important tool in kinematics as they help us describe the motion of objects in terms of magnitude and direction. Kinematics also uses vectors to analyze the relationships between displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time in a given motion.