How can I solve these Symplectic Notation problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems: the first problem requires showing that the normalization of eigenvectors can be chosen to give the properties of the Jacobian matrix, while the second problem involves transforming the Hamiltonian to a new form using a canonical transformation. The equations and matrices involved are also described, including the use of an ansatz and the relation between new and original coordinates/momenta. The speaker is unsure how to proceed with the second problem.
jarra

Homework Statement

My problem is: ``For all eigenvalues [tex]\omega_j[/tex] being distinct show that the normalization of the eigenvectors can be chosen in such a way that M has the properties of the Jacobian matrix.''

Another problem is to show that after this canonical transformation the new Hamiltonian, K, takes the form [tex]K=i \sum_{j=1}^n \omega_j Q_j P_j[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]H=\frac{1}{2}\vec{\varsigma}K\vec{\varsigma}[/tex] is given.

With K being a [tex] 2n \times 2n[/tex] matrix with the entries: [tex] \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
0 & \tau \\
\vartheta & 0\end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

and [tex]\vec{\varsigma}[/tex] being a 2n-dimensional vector with entries: [tex]\vec{\varsigma}=[\vec q,\vec p]^T[/tex] with [tex]\vec q[/tex] and [tex]\vec p[/tex] being n-dimensional consisting of the generalized coordinates and generalized momenta respectively.
To this there is a matrix M whose columns are eigenvectors of the matrix JK with J being the matrix:
[tex] \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 \\
-1 & 0\end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

The corresponding eigenvalues to the eigenvectors are [tex]\pm \omega_j[/tex] .

There should also be an ansatz putting [tex]\varsigma_j = \varsigma_0 e^{i\omega_j t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get stuck at the relations [tex]\dot{\vec\eta}=M\dot{\vec\varsigma}=M\Omega \vec\varsigma[/tex]

With [tex]\dot{\vec\eta}[/tex] being the new coordinates/momenta and [tex]\Omega=diag(i\omega_j)[/tex] is a [tex]2n \times 2n[/tex] matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have to use this ansatz and then show that \vec{\eta}=M\vec{\varsigma} , but how can I do this? For the second problem I am clueless.

Related to How can I solve these Symplectic Notation problems?

1. What is symplectic notation?

Symplectic notation is a mathematical notation used to describe physical systems in classical mechanics. It is based on the idea of phase space, which represents the position and momentum of a particle or system of particles.

2. How is symplectic notation different from other notations?

Unlike other notations, symplectic notation uses a specific set of variables, known as canonical coordinates, to describe a system. These variables are chosen to satisfy certain mathematical properties, making symplectic notation well-suited for describing the dynamics of physical systems.

3. What are the advantages of using symplectic notation?

Symplectic notation has several advantages, including the ability to easily represent complex systems, the preservation of important physical properties such as energy and momentum, and the ability to use mathematical techniques such as Hamiltonian mechanics to analyze and solve problems.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using symplectic notation?

One drawback of symplectic notation is that it can be difficult to visualize and understand, especially for those who are not familiar with the underlying mathematical principles. Additionally, symplectic notation may not be applicable to all physical systems and may require specialized knowledge to use effectively.

5. How is symplectic notation used in scientific research?

Symplectic notation is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to model and analyze physical systems. It is particularly useful for studying systems with multiple interacting particles, such as molecules, and has applications in fields such as molecular dynamics, celestial mechanics, and quantum mechanics.