How can I solve the parametric representation problem for x^3+y^3=u^3+v^3?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a general solution in rational numbers for the equation x^3+y^3=u^3+v^3. The suggested hint is to use a substitution and factor the result in Q(\sqrt{-3}). However, this leads to a dead end. The question also asks about the relationship between the capitals and lowercase variables. The answer includes a formula for the new variables and how they relate to the old ones. The conversation ends with the provided answer for x and the mention of other similar solutions for y, u, and v.
gonzo
Does anyone have any ideas on how to even start this problem? I am supposed to find a general solution in rational numbers for (aside from the trivial ones):

[itex]x^3+y^3=u^3+v^3[/itex]

Actually, I'm given the answer (which is really messy) and am supposed to show how to derive it. The book gives the hint to use a substitution x=X-Y, y=X+Y, u=U-V, and v=U+V and then factor the result in [itex]Q(\sqrt{-3})[/itex].

The hint was easy to enact, but led to another dead end. I figure you can start by trying to find integer solutions, but that doesn't help either. In fact, I can't even figure out how to make any progress at all. Not even a little bit.

Any clues out there at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the capitals related in anyway to the lowercase counter parts or is that just a coincidence?

Gib Z said:
Are the capitals related in anyway to the lowercase counter parts or is that just a coincidence?

I don't understand this question? The capitals are a change of variable, and I gave the formula for the new variables and how they relate to the old ones in the post?

By the way, the new equation you get is:

[itex]X^3+3XY^2=U^3+3UV^2[/itex]

And factoring as the hint further suggests gives you:

[itex]X(X+Y\sqrt{-3})(X-Y\sqrt{-3})=U(U+V\sqrt{-3})(U-V\sqrt{-3})[/itex]

Which was the other dead end I hit. No idea what to do from there. In case it helps anyone get inspired, I'll write out the answer they give for x (small x), the others are similar. a,b and k are rational numbers:

[itex]x=k(1-(a-3b)(a^2+3b^2))[/itex]

Related to How can I solve the parametric representation problem for x^3+y^3=u^3+v^3?

1. What is parametric representation?

Parametric representation is a mathematical method of representing a set of points or shapes in space. It involves using a set of parameters, such as variables or functions, to describe the location of points in relation to one another.

2. How is parametric representation used in science?

In science, parametric representation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows scientists to model and analyze complex systems, create simulations, and visualize data in a more efficient and accurate way.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric representation?

One of the main advantages of using parametric representation is its flexibility. It allows for easy manipulation of parameters to modify the shape or location of objects. It also enables the representation of complex shapes and curves that would be difficult to describe using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to parametric representation?

Yes, there are some limitations to parametric representation. It may not accurately represent certain shapes or objects with sharp edges or corners. Additionally, it can be challenging to visualize and understand the representation in higher dimensions.

5. How does parametric representation differ from other methods of representation?

Parametric representation differs from other methods, such as Cartesian coordinates, in that it uses parameters to describe the location of points rather than fixed values. This allows for more flexibility and can simplify complex equations and calculations. Additionally, parametric representation is often used in animation and computer graphics, while other methods may be more commonly used in geometry and physics.