How can I solve for x in the inequality 1/x <= 4?

• Thread starter mackhina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the inequality 1/x <= 4 and different methods and approaches to finding the solution. It is determined that the best method is through reasoning and observation, rather than trying to have a number pop out. The final solution is that x must be less than or equal to 1/4, taking into account the given restriction that x must be negative.
mackhina

Homework Statement

1/x <= 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially converted 1/x back to x^-1 which gave me the answer x <= 1/4 which makes sense, but I should also get x < 0 which I'm not sure about how to get via solving?

Also is converting 1/x to x^-1 the best method to get this answer? In my notes I read that I should divide be a variable, which makes sense I guess as I don't know if it's positive or not? Any help in explaining a better process of evaluating this problem would be heaps appreciated!

Cheers

Mick

Physics news on Phys.org
mackhina said:

Homework Statement

1/x <= 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially converted 1/x back to x^-1 which gave me the answer x <= 1/4 which makes sense,
Actually, it doesn't make sense. If you look at the graph of y = 1/x, when x <= 1/4, y >= 4, which isn't what you're given.

There is no need to convert 1/x to x-1, but when you multiply an inequality by a variable, it makes a difference whether the vaariable is positive or negative.
mackhina said:
but I should also get x < 0 which I'm not sure about how to get via solving?

Also is converting 1/x to x^-1 the best method to get this answer? In my notes I read that I should divide be a variable, which makes sense I guess as I don't know if it's positive or not? Any help in explaining a better process of evaluating this problem would be heaps appreciated!

Cheers

Mick

You're right, the inequality should be around the other way. I plotted the graph but now I'm even more confused?

What part of the equation is swapping the inequality sign? I didn't multiply or divide by a negative as I left the variable on the same side?

Am I just suppose to do this question through observation?

You have two ways (at least) to do this.

First, break into cases:
i) Assume [itex] x > 0 [/itex], and then solve [itex] \frac 1 x \le 4 [/itex] based on this
ii) Assume [itex] x < 0 [/itex], and solve the inequality based on this

Second choice
Write the inequality as
[tex]
\frac 1 x - 4 \le 0 \Rightarrow \frac{1-4x} x \le 0
[/tex]

If you can determine the signs of the numerator and denominator of the second fraction you can determine the solutions.

mackhina said:
You're right, the inequality should be around the other way. I plotted the graph but now I'm even more confused?

What part of the equation is swapping the inequality sign? I didn't multiply or divide by a negative as I left the variable on the same side?

Am I just suppose to do this question through observation?

Observation is probably the easiest way to see it.

As already stated, there are 2 answers to this problem. The answer you gave (with the inequality reversed) can be algebraically done this way:

[tex]\frac{1}{x} \le 4 \rightarrow \frac{1}{x}x \le 4x \rightarrow 1 \le 4x \rightarrow \frac{1}{4} \le \frac{4x}{4} \rightarrow \frac{1}{4} \le x[/tex]

Which is how the inequality gets "turned around."

zgozvrm said:
Observation is probably the easiest way to see it.

As already stated, there are 2 answers to this problem. The answer you gave (with the inequality reversed) can be algebraically done this way:

[tex]\frac{1}{x} \le 4 \rightarrow \frac{1}{x}x \le 4x \rightarrow 1 \le 4x \rightarrow \frac{1}{4} \le \frac{4x}{4} \rightarrow \frac{1}{4} \le x[/tex]
Above, to get the second inequality, the tacit assumption is that x > 0.
zgozvrm said:
Which is how the inequality gets "turned around."

Thanks everyone for your help, I think I've got it now.

I've gotten that 1/4 <= x by assuming that x>0 I can bring it across

and

x<0 when x is negative.
I had a hard time trying to work out why I couldn't get the answer x=0 mathematically. My understanding of the question now though is that if I substitute any negative number into 1/x it will result in a negative number, which is always less than 4. So I should solve this by reasoning rather than trying to have a number pop out.

Thanks again.

mackhina said:
Thanks everyone for your help, I think I've got it now.

I've gotten that 1/4 <= x by assuming that x>0 I can bring it across

and

x<0 when x is negative.
I had a hard time trying to work out why I couldn't get the answer x=0 mathematically.
What do you mean "get the answer x= 0"? x= 0 is NOT a solution to this problem. You should be able to see immediatly that if x= 0, 1/x is not defined.
If x> 0, then you can multiply both sides of 1/x<= 4 by the positive number
get 1<= 4x, then divide both sides by the positive number 4 to get 1/4<= x.
If x< 0, then you can multiply both sides of 1/x<= 4 by the negative number x, reversing the inequality because you are multiplying by an negative number: 1>= 4x. Then divide both sides by the positive number 4 to get 1/4>= x. However, since x< 0, "1/4>= x" is the same as 0> x.

My understanding of the question now though is that if I substitute any negative x to number into 1/x it will result in a negative number, which is always less than 4. So I should solve this by reasoning rather than trying to have a number pop out.

Thanks again.

I see, so the answer should be that 1/4>= x, but because I defined x<0, I move my answer further along the number line until it meets that set criteria. That's easier to understand!

Thanks for helping me out HallsofIvy.

Cheers

Mick

Related to How can I solve for x in the inequality 1/x <= 4?

What is the inequality problem 1/x <= 4?

The inequality problem 1/x <= 4 is a mathematical expression that represents a range of values where x is the variable. The inequality states that the value of 1/x must be less than or equal to 4.

How do I solve the inequality problem 1/x <= 4?

To solve the inequality 1/x <= 4, you can use algebraic methods such as multiplying or dividing both sides by the same number or using logarithms. The final solution should be in the form of x <= a, where a is a number.

What is the domain of the inequality problem 1/x <= 4?

The domain of the inequality problem 1/x <= 4 is all real numbers except for 0. This is because dividing by 0 is undefined in mathematics.

How does the inequality problem 1/x <= 4 relate to income inequality?

The inequality problem 1/x <= 4 does not directly relate to income inequality. However, it can be used to represent the concept of income inequality by assigning certain values to x, such as representing the percentage of income earned by a certain portion of the population.

What are some real-life applications of the inequality problem 1/x <= 4?

The inequality problem 1/x <= 4 can be used in various fields such as economics, physics, and biology. In economics, it can represent income distribution among a population. In physics, it can represent the relationship between force and distance. In biology, it can represent the relationship between growth rate and available resources.