How can I solve for v(t) when given F=Fo and v(t=0)=0?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed v(t) and position x(t) given a given equation and initial conditions. The individual attempted to solve the equation by plugging in values, but was unable to find a solution for v(t). They were advised to first establish a relation between v, x, and x_0, and then use the fact that v=dx/dt to solve for v(t). The formatting issue in the conversation was noted to be due to the use of "display math" delimiters instead of "in-line" delimiters.
mch

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See LaTeX[/B]

given that $$v^2 = v_o^2 + \frac{2}{m}\int\limits_{x_o}^x F(x) \ dx\ $$ find the speed v(t) and the position x(t) given that $$F = F_o$$ and $$v(t=0)=0$$. I tried plugging in $$F=F_o$$ for $$F(x)$$ in the above equation but solving this equation for v never yields any variable t. So my question is, how can I solve for v(t)?

There we go. Sorry if the spacing is a little off. I'm not good at LaTeX

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mch said:
I tried plugging in $$F=F_o$$ for $$F(x)$$ in the above equation but solving this equation for v never yields any variable t. So my question is, how can I solve for v(t)?

First get a relation between ##v##, ##x##, and ##x_0##. Then note that ##v = \frac{dx}{dt}##.

mch the reason your equations are all spaced out is because you used the 'display math' delimiters which are double $ signs.

If you want to get in-line latex, which is what you need for some of your post, you can use double # instead.

Related to How can I solve for v(t) when given F=Fo and v(t=0)=0?

What is Theoretical Mechanics?

Theoretical Mechanics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to study the motion and behavior of objects.

What are some common applications of Theoretical Mechanics?

Theoretical Mechanics is used in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics to understand and predict the behavior of systems and objects.

What is the difference between Theoretical Mechanics and Applied Mechanics?

Theoretical Mechanics focuses on developing mathematical models and principles to describe the motion of objects, while Applied Mechanics applies these principles to real-world problems and systems.

What are the main principles of Theoretical Mechanics?

The main principles of Theoretical Mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the principle of least action.

What are some common topics in Theoretical Mechanics?

Some common topics in Theoretical Mechanics include kinematics, dynamics, mechanics of particles and rigid bodies, and oscillations and waves.