How can I solve for Equation 2.16 in Srednicki?

• Thread starter LAHLH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Srednicki
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in reaching a specific equation involving U(\Lambda)^{-1} M^{\mu\nu} U(\Lambda) and the use of U(1+\delta\omega)=I+\frac{i}{2\hbar} \delta\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu} to solve it. There is confusion regarding the use of \Lambda^\mu{}_{\rho}\Lambda^\nu{}_{\sigma} M^{\rho\sigma} and the inclusion of the metric in the generator commutation relation. A helpful resource is provided for further clarification.
LAHLH
Hi,

I'm having a little troubling reaching this equation. I'm starting with 2.14 which is:

[tex] U(\Lambda)^{-1} M^{\mu\nu} U(\Lambda)=\Lambda^\mu{}_{\rho}\Lambda^\nu{}_{\sigma} M^{\rho\sigma} [/tex]

Now letting [tex] \Lambda=1+\delta\omega [/tex] and using [tex] U(1+\delta\omega)=I+\frac{i}{2\hbar} \delta\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu} [/tex], I get:

[tex] U(1+\delta\omega )^{-1} M^{\mu\nu} U(1+\delta\omega)=\Lambda^\mu{}_{\rho}\Lambda^\nu{}_{\sigma} M^{\rho\sigma} [/tex]

[tex] => (I-\frac{i}{2\hbar} \delta\omega_{\alpha\beta}M^{\alpha\beta}) M^{\mu\nu}( I+\frac{i}{2\hbar} \delta\omega_{\xi\chi}M^{\xi\chi})=\Lambda^\mu{}_{\rho}\Lambda^\nu{}_{\sigma} M^{\rho\sigma} [/tex]

[tex] => M^{\mu\nu}+\frac{i}{2\hbar} \delta\omega_{\xi\chi}M^{\mu\nu}M^{\xi\chi}-\frac{i}{2\hbar} \delta\omega_{\alpha\beta}M^{\alpha\beta}M^{\mu\nu}=\Lambda^\mu{}_{\rho}\Lambda^\nu{}_{\sigma} M^{\rho\sigma} [/tex]

I'm not really sure where to go from here, I guess I can't simply say [tex] \Lambda^\mu{}_{\rho}\Lambda^\nu{}_{\sigma} M^{\rho\sigma}=M^{\mu\nu} [/tex] and cancel this from each side?
Not sure how else I could get some that had [tex] \delta\omega [/tex] in every term otherwise, so I can equate the antisymmetric parts of there coefficients as Srednicki suggests.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea how the metric has found its way into the generator commutation relation, v confused

Ah thanks so much, I did do a search for Srednicki but didn't see that thread, thanks again.

Related to How can I solve for Equation 2.16 in Srednicki?

1. What is Equation 2.16 in Srednicki?

Equation 2.16 in Srednicki refers to a specific mathematical equation found in the book "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki. It is a key equation used to describe the dynamics of a quantum field.

2. How is Equation 2.16 derived?

Equation 2.16 is derived from the Lagrangian formalism in quantum field theory. It is derived by using a specific set of mathematical operations and principles, and is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

3. What does Equation 2.16 represent?

Equation 2.16 represents the equation of motion for a quantum field. It describes how the field evolves over time and how it is affected by external forces. It is a fundamental equation in the study of quantum field theory.

4. Why is Equation 2.16 important?

Equation 2.16 is important because it allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of quantum fields. It is used in various areas of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

5. Can Equation 2.16 be generalized to other fields?

Yes, Equation 2.16 can be generalized to other fields as long as they follow the same principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It is a universal equation that applies to a wide range of physical phenomena.