How can I solve catenary problems?

• I
  • Thread starter mcguiry03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catenary
He mentions that he can only obtain the weight per unit length of the cable, the distance between two points, and the difference in elevation of those two points while on site. He advises to do some research and come back with any further questions. In summary, Dave is seeking guidance on how to solve for the location and tensions of a cable given certain measurements while on site. He suggests doing some reading and asking for clarification if needed.
mcguiry03
If you are on site and you only can get the weight per unit length of cable, the distance between 2 points and the difference in elevation of the said 2 points. How can I solve for the location along the cable for the lowest sag and the tensions exerted at the two points?

Physics news on Phys.org
mcguiry03 said:
If you are on site and you only can get the weight per unit length of cable, the distance between 2 points and the difference in elevation of the said 2 points. How can I solve for the location along the cable for the lowest sag and the tensions exerted at the two points?
what research have you done into this so far ?
there's lots of links on google including at least one site for calculating tension and sag
which probably answers your questions

Do some reading and come back with any Q's on anything you didn't understandDave

Related to How can I solve catenary problems?

1. What is a catenary problem?

A catenary problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shape of a curve formed by a hanging chain or cable under the influence of gravity.

2. How can I approach solving a catenary problem?

To solve a catenary problem, you can use mathematical equations and principles such as the catenary equation, calculus, and the principle of virtual work.

3. What are some real-world applications of catenary problems?

Catenary problems have many practical applications, such as designing suspension bridges, determining the shape of a hanging power line, and understanding the shape of a hanging chain or cable in engineering and physics.

4. What are some common challenges when solving catenary problems?

Some common challenges when solving catenary problems include dealing with non-uniform density or weight distribution along the chain or cable, and accounting for external forces such as wind or friction.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with solving catenary problems?

Yes, there are various mathematical software and computer programs that can assist with solving catenary problems, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Wolfram Alpha.