How can I solve a problem with two equations in two unknowns using trigonometry?

In summary, the problem involves two equations in two unknowns, with known but tedious coefficients. The equations can be rearranged and the Pythagorean identity can be used to form a single equation in terms of one unknown. This can be solved to find the unknowns and solve the problem.
cap'n ahab
Hi, I have a problem that arose in one of my courses that I've gotten stuck on. I reduced it to two equations in two unknowns but can't get any further. I've apparently forgotten all the trigonometry I used to know.

C = Acos(x) + Bcos(y)

0 = Asin(x) + Bsin(y)

where A,B,C are known but tedious to write (they are on the order of 10^(-19)).

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I'm sure the solution will be obvious once I see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing that comes to my mind is to first express the equations in the following form:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\cos (y) = \frac{{C - A\cos (x)}}{B}\\
\sin (y) = - \frac{{A\sin (x)}}{B}
\end{array}[/tex]

You can then use the pythagorean identity ([tex]{\sin ^2}(y) + {\cos ^2}(y) \equiv 1[/tex]) to form the following equation:

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{A\sin (x)}}{B}} \right)^2} + {\left( {\frac{{C - A\cos (x)}}{B}} \right)^2} = 1[/tex]

Expand it out and it should be easy to solve for x, which can then be substituted into one of the first equations to find y.

Related to How can I solve a problem with two equations in two unknowns using trigonometry?

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to calculate and measure angles, distances, and heights in various real-world applications.

2. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is important because it has a wide range of practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It is also used in everyday tasks like construction, surveying, and even video game design.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to find the ratios of the sides of a right triangle. Other trigonometric functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent, which are the inverse of the basic functions.

4. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as calculating the height of a building or mountain, determining the distance of an object from a point, and predicting the motion of objects in physics. It is also used in navigation and in creating and designing structures.

5. What are some common applications of trigonometry?

Some common applications of trigonometry include calculating the angles and distances in navigation, predicting the movement of objects in physics, analyzing sound waves and light waves, and designing buildings and bridges. It is also used in astronomy to study the movement and position of celestial bodies.