How can I solve a dynamics problem involving a pulley, rod, and rotating masses?

In summary, the block A has an acceleration of +ve because the mass is moving up. The acceleration of the rod at the center of gravity is also +ve. The signs in the equations don't seem to match what you've stated, but the last equation makes up for it.
jules.t

Homework Statement

There is pulley which has a mass hanging from one side, and a rotating rod attached horizontally to the other (both by cables). The pulley has mass; Mp = 9.5kg and radius; Rp =0.2m. The block(A) has mass; Ma=10.9kg. The rod is L = 0.8m long and has mass=Ml7.9kg. The rod is also rotating at w= 2.7 rad/s in the anti clockwise direction. The value for gravity used is g= 9.8m/s/s downwards. Tensions are denoted by Ta and Tb

Homework Equations

Newtons 2nd Law(F=ma), Eulers Equation (M=I[itex]\alpha[/itex]).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have defined my coordinate system as anticlockwise is positive and vertically down is positive.
Ipulley = 0.5MR2
Irod at centre of grav =(1/12)ML2
I have developed some simultaneous equations for the system:
Ta - Mag = Maaa From Newton 2nd Law of Block(A)
aa = Rp[itex]\alpha[/itex]p Acceleration relationship
-TaRp+TbRp=Ip[itex]\alpha[/itex]p Eulers equation for pulley
Tb - Mrg = Mrar Newtons second law on rod.

I also have the following(which i think is where the problem is at):
-TbL - Ir[itex]\alpha[/itex]r = -Lw2 Eulers equation on the rod at the centre of gravity.
ar = -L[itex]\alpha[/itex]r

I solved this system, and got an incorrect answer. As above i think the problem lies in the last two equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

OK - rod rotating anticlockwise means the pulley is rotating clockwise and the mass is moving up.
The most likely location for an error is a misplaced minus sign as you link the different fbds.

The signs in your equations don't seem to match your stated sign convention.

i.e. ##T_a-M_ag=M_aa_a## gives a negative acceleration if the weight is greater than the tension.

But you've set them up how I would except for the last one, I'd have picked anticlockwise for positive for the motion of the rod... done that way the acceleration (magnitude and sign) of the block A is also the tangential acceleration of the rim of the pulley and the acceleration of point B on the rod.

However - the problem statement lacks a goal.
What are you supposed to be finding out?

My apologies for not including the problems goal.
The problem asks to find the acceleration of pint B in the diagram provided.

I too am confused about the signs.
jules.t said:
Ta - Mag = Maaa From Newton 2nd Law of Block(A)
makes up +ve
aa = Rp[itex]\alpha[/itex]p Acceleration relationship
makes down and anticlockwise the same sign
-TaRp+TbRp=Ip[itex]\alpha[/itex]p Eulers equation for pulley
makes clockwise +ve
Tb - Mrg = Mrar Newtons second law on rod.
makes up +ve
-TbL - Irαr = -Lw2 Eulers equation on the rod at the centre of gravity.
Makes anticlockwise +ve and ... a couple of problems here.
The rod is rotating about an endpoint so you need to use the parallel axis theorem.
The Lw2 term is a centripetal acceleration, which at this point is horizontal. It is supplied by the axle and has nothing to do with the tension.

Thanks guys!
By working through the sign troubles and getting rid of the Lw^2 term, the solution was achieved. Your help is appreciated greatly, and i guess ill need to work on sign conventions before my exam.

Related to How can I solve a dynamics problem involving a pulley, rod, and rotating masses?

1. What is a pulley and rod system?

A pulley and rod system is a simple machine that uses a combination of a pulley and a rod to transfer force and motion. The pulley is a wheel with a grooved rim that holds a rope or belt, and the rod is a rigid object that connects to the pulley, allowing it to rotate and transfer force.

2. How does a pulley and rod system work?

In a pulley and rod system, the pulley rotates as force is applied to one end of the rope or belt, causing the rod to move in the opposite direction. This allows for the transfer of force and motion from one point to another with minimal friction.

3. What are the types of pulley and rod systems?

There are two types of pulley and rod systems: fixed and movable. In a fixed pulley and rod system, the pulley is attached to a stationary object, while in a movable system, the pulley can move along with the object it is attached to.

4. What are the advantages of using a pulley and rod system?

One of the main advantages of using a pulley and rod system is that it can reduce the amount of force needed to move an object. Additionally, it can also change the direction of the force applied, making it easier to lift or lower objects.

5. What are some real-life examples of pulley and rod systems?

Pulley and rod systems are commonly found in everyday objects, such as window blinds, flagpoles, and exercise machines. They are also used in more complex machinery, such as cranes, elevators, and conveyor belts.