How Can I Simplify Trigonometric Expressions Using Euler's Formula?

In summary, we can express z in the form z=Re[Ae^{i(\omega t+\alpha)}] by using the polar form of e^{i\theta} and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression.
mewmew
Express the following in the form [tex]z=Re[Ae^{i(\omega t+\alpha)}][/tex]

[tex]z=cos(\omega t - \frac{\pi}{3}) - cos (\omega t)[/tex]
and
[tex]z=sin(\omega t) - 2cos(\omega t - \frac{\pi}{4}) + cos(\omega t)[/tex]

I got a few of the problems correct by using trig. identities but it was pretty tough and two I can't get. Our teacher said you can use a tric to solve them easier but didn't have time to finish, I just know it has something to do with the polar form of [tex]e^{i \theta}[/tex] I really have no clue on how to do these without using the really long method of trig. identities. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] z = \textrm{Re}(e^{i(\omega t - \pi/3} - e^{i\omega t})[/tex]
[tex] =\textrm{Re}( e^{i\omega t}( e^{-i\pi/3}-1))[/tex]
[tex] = \textrm{Re}(( e^{-i\pi/3}-1) \;\;e^{i\omega t})[/tex]

Does that help?

Don't be ashamed, it's far better to be conversant in trig than to know a few tricks.

Carl

Along the lines of CarlB, but without jumping straight into using Re(),
recall [tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos\theta+i\sin\theta[/tex], from which you can derive
[tex]\cos\theta=\frac{1}{2}(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})[/tex] and a similar expression for [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] (which I left for you to do).

So, now:
[tex]
z&=\frac{1}{2}(e^{i[\omega t-\pi/3]}+e^{-i[\omega t-\pi/3]})-\frac{1}{2}(e^{i[\omega t]}+e^{-i[\omega t]})[/tex]
then do some algebra.

Recall that [tex]Re(z)=\frac{1}{2}(z+z^*)[/tex]. Thus [tex]Re(e^{i\theta})=\cos\theta[/tex].

Thanks a lot, that makes it much more simple.

Related to How Can I Simplify Trigonometric Expressions Using Euler's Formula?

What is a complex exponential?

A complex exponential is a mathematical function in the form of e^(ix), where e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary unit. It can also be written as cos(x) + i*sin(x), where cos(x) and sin(x) are trigonometric functions.

How can complex exponentials be used in science?

Complex exponentials are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in describing oscillatory phenomena, such as electromagnetic waves and quantum mechanical wavefunctions.

What is the relationship between complex exponentials and trigonometric functions?

Complex exponentials and trigonometric functions are closely related through Euler's formula: e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This relationship allows for the conversion between complex exponentials and trigonometric functions, and is often used in solving mathematical problems.

How do you simplify complex exponential expressions?

To simplify a complex exponential expression, you can use the rules of exponentiation, such as the product rule and power rule. Additionally, you can use Euler's formula to convert the expression into trigonometric form, which may be easier to work with.

What are the properties of complex exponentials?

Some properties of complex exponentials include the ability to be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided in a similar manner to real numbers. They also follow the laws of exponents, such as the power rule and the product rule. Furthermore, they have a periodicity of 2π, meaning that e^(ix) = e^(ix + 2π) for any real value of x.