How can I simplify finding positive odd solutions to the equation 17x+11y=1000?

• Thread starter MSG100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, to solve the given problem, one can use the Diophantine equation method to find the general solutions of the equation 17x+11y=1000, which are x=2000-11k and y=-3000+17k. To find the positive integer solutions where x and y are odd numbers, one can skip the Diophantine solution and use the equation y=(1000-11x)/17. It can be observed that x has to be in the interval 0≤x≤58 for y to be positive. By testing all odd numbers in this interval, the solutions (x, y) = (9, 77), (31, 43), and (53,
MSG100
Problem:
Find all the positive integer solutions where x and y are odd numbers, to the equation: 17x+11y=1000

Attempt of solution:

First attempt:
With Diophantine equation have gotten the answers:

x=2000
y=-3000

and the general solutions will be:

x=2000-11k
y=-3000+17k

Now I don't know what to do.

Second attempt:
If I skip the Diophantine solution and do it like this:

y=(1000-11x)/17

Now I see that x has to be in the interval 0≤x≤58 if y should be positive.

If I test all the odd numbers in the interval I'll get 3 solutions when both x and y are positive and odd numbers. The solutions are:

(x, y) = (9, 77), (31, 43) and (53, 9)

This solutions (which should be the right answer) takes a lot of time because you have to test all odd numbers between 0 to 58 (29 different numbers).

I need help to find an easier solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
MSG100 said:
Problem:
Find all the positive integer solutions where x and y are odd numbers, to the equation: 17x+11y=1000

Attempt of solution:

First attempt:
With Diophantine equation have gotten the answers:

x=2000
y=-3000

and the general solutions will be:

x=2000-11k
y=-3000+17k

Now I don't know what to do.

Second attempt:
If I skip the Diophantine solution and do it like this:

y=(1000-11x)/17

Now I see that x has to be in the interval 0≤x≤58 if y should be positive.

If I test all the odd numbers in the interval I'll get 3 solutions when both x and y are positive and odd numbers. The solutions are:

(x, y) = (9, 77), (31, 43) and (53, 9)

This solutions (which should be the right answer) takes a lot of time because you have to test all odd numbers between 0 to 58 (29 different numbers).

I need help to find an easier solution.

If you don't want to check all those numbers you should use your Diophantine solution. You just have to figure out what values of k will make both x and y positive. There aren't that many.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, that makes sense!

Then I just have following numbers k= 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 to make x and y positive and only k= 177, 179, 181 to make them positive AND odd.

Related to How can I simplify finding positive odd solutions to the equation 17x+11y=1000?

1. What is an equation with two variables?

An equation with two variables is a mathematical statement that contains two unknown quantities, represented by letters such as x and y, and an equal sign. The goal is to find the values of the variables that make the equation true.

2. How do you solve an equation with two variables?

To solve an equation with two variables, you need to have at least two equations. You can then use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to find the values of the variables that satisfy both equations.

3. Can an equation with two variables have multiple solutions?

Yes, an equation with two variables can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be more than one set of values for the variables that make the equation true. Graphically, this would appear as multiple points on a coordinate plane that intersect at the same spot.

4. What is the importance of solving equations with two variables?

Solving equations with two variables is important in many fields, including science, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the relationships between two variables and make predictions or solve problems based on those relationships.

5. Can you graph an equation with two variables?

Yes, you can graph an equation with two variables. On a coordinate plane, the x and y values represent the two variables, and the points that satisfy the equation will form a line. This can help visualize the solutions and understand the relationship between the variables.