How can I run OpenFOAM on a Mac using Docker?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with running an OpenFOAM program on a time crunch. They are advised to install Docker and follow specific instructions to create an isolated environment for OpenFOAM. Further instructions are given on how to use Docker and OpenFOAM, and additional resources are provided for those unfamiliar with the programs.
member 428835
Hi PF

I'm learning OpenFOAM and typically would do much more work prior to coming here, but I'm on a time crunch and was wondering if anyone knows how to run an OpenFOAM program? I have a file called "wedge" and within that I have a "constant" file, system file, a "0" file, and two documents titled "Allrun" and "foam.foam".

Any help would be awesome!

Technology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
You're going to have to install Docker and then follow the instructions here. Docker provides an isolated environment a machine within a machine so that OpenFoam won't affect the rest of your normal environment.

https://www.openfoam.com/download/install-binary-mac.php
Got it! I think I have the software to run it, I just don't know how to now run the program. Typically I'd ask people in my lab but everyone is gone for Holiday.

Related to How can I run OpenFOAM on a Mac using Docker?

What is OpenFOAM?

OpenFOAM is a free and open-source computational fluid dynamics software package that allows scientists and engineers to simulate and analyze fluid flows.

Can OpenFOAM be run on a Mac?

Yes, OpenFOAM can be run on a Mac. It is compatible with macOS and can be installed using a virtual machine or a native installation.

What are the system requirements for running OpenFOAM on a Mac?

The system requirements for running OpenFOAM on a Mac are at least 8GB of RAM, 30GB of free disk space, and a 64-bit processor. It is also recommended to have a high-performance graphics card for better simulation performance.

How do I install OpenFOAM on a Mac?

There are several ways to install OpenFOAM on a Mac, including using a virtual machine, using a native installation with Homebrew, or using a Docker container. Each method has its own set of instructions and requirements, so it is best to follow the specific instructions for the installation method you choose.

Can I use OpenFOAM on a Mac for commercial purposes?

Yes, OpenFOAM is licensed under the GNU General Public License, which allows for commercial use. However, it is important to note that the software itself is free, but some additional libraries or tools may have their own licenses and may require payment for commercial use.