What Type of Gas Can Be Used for Isothermal and Adiabatic Energy Storage?

In summary, the conversation discussed an isothermal expansion of an ideal gas, followed by an adiabatic and quasi-static compression. The pressure of the gas was found to be 1.32 times its initial pressure after the compression. The question was then raised about the type of gas (monatomic, diatomic, or polyatomic) and the change in translational kinetic energy during these processes. It was assumed that the gas was in the regime where rotational motion takes place, but vibrational motion is frozen out. The conversation also mentioned the change in internal energy for monatomic and diatomic gases and the calculation of gamma for the adiabatic process. The speaker expressed difficulty in determining the type of gas and asked for assistance.
Claire84
We've been set the question of- In an isothermal expansion, and ideal gas at initial pressure Po expands until its volume is twice its initial volume. When the gas is compressed adibatically and quasi-statically ack to its original volume, its pressure is 1.32Po. Is the gas monatomic, diatomic or polyatomic? How does the translational kinetic energy of the gas change in these processes? We can assume throughout that the gas is in the regime where rotational motion takes plae, but vibraional motion is frozen out.

I wouldnhave said that the translational minietic energy increased throughout, but how specific would I need to be really? Also, I have no idea about what type of gas it is. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a monatomic gas I know that the change in internal energy is equal to 3/2nRchange in temp and for diatomic it's 5/2nRchange in T (I think), so do I need to look at the various internal energies to decide what type of gas it is or is there a much simpler solution? I've been looking at loads of textbooks but to no avail and my brain is completely fried because it's obviously not a hard question.

Is it a diatomic gas because when you work out gamma for the adiabatic process you get 1.4? I just checked this at a website and stuff, but I never knew that gamma would equal this for a diatomic gas. Is this something you should know or is there some way of deriving it?

Last edited:

1. What are gases and how are they different from other states of matter?

Gases are a state of matter that have no fixed shape or volume and are highly compressible. They are made up of individual molecules that move freely and rapidly. Unlike solids and liquids, gases do not have a definite shape or volume because their particles are not tightly packed together.

2. What is the role of gases in energy storage?

Gases can be used to store energy in various ways. One common method is through compressed gas energy storage, where gases are compressed and stored in tanks or underground caverns. When the gas is released, it expands and can be used to power turbines and generate electricity. Gases can also be used in fuel cells to convert chemical energy into electrical energy.

3. What are some examples of gases used for energy storage?

Some common gases used for energy storage include hydrogen, natural gas, and compressed air. Hydrogen is often used in fuel cells and can also be produced through electrolysis of water using renewable energy sources. Natural gas can be stored and transported through pipelines, and can also be converted into liquid form for easier storage and transportation. Compressed air is another popular method of energy storage, with large-scale projects utilizing underground caverns or abandoned mines to store compressed air.

4. How does the storage capacity of gases compare to other forms of energy storage?

Gases have a high energy density, meaning they can store a large amount of energy in a relatively small volume. For example, compressed air energy storage can store 10-20 times more energy than a similarly sized battery. However, gases also have lower energy conversion efficiencies compared to other forms of energy storage, meaning some energy is lost during the storage and conversion process.

5. What are the potential benefits of using gases for energy storage?

Gases can provide a flexible and versatile form of energy storage. They can be stored for long periods of time without significant loss of energy, and can be easily transported and distributed. Gases also have the potential to be a more environmentally friendly form of energy storage, as they can be produced using renewable energy sources and have lower carbon emissions compared to fossil fuels.