How can I reduce this expression to e^{mx}?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical expression and the steps taken to simplify it to a desired form. The person asking for help is confident in their work but cannot seem to find the correct approach. After some back and forth, it is determined that there was a sign error in the original expression and the correct simplified form is A = e^{mx}. The conversation ends with the person correcting their original post to reflect the correct exponent.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I at a point in a derivation where I have the expression:

[tex]A = \frac{e^{mx} - e^{2ml - mx}}{1-e^{2ml}}[/tex]

I have double checked my work leading up to this point, so i am confident my expression for 'A' is correct. I am supposed to reduce it to

[tex]A = e^{mx}[/tex]

but I am not seeing the trick here. I have tried numerous approaches from factoring the denominator and various arrangements of the numerator. I have a feeling it is one of those random tricks i need. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

I think you might have a sign error in the exponent on the first term in the numerator.

Assuming this is the case for the moment, you have
[tex]A = \frac{e^{-mx} - e^{2ml - mx}}{1-e^{2ml}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{e^{-mx} - e^{2ml}\cdot e^{ -mx}}{1-e^{2ml}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{e^{-mx}(1 - e^{2ml})}{1-e^{2ml}} = e^{-mx}[/tex]
Saladsamurai said:
I have double checked my work leading up to this point, so i am confident my expression for 'A' is correct. I am supposed to reduce it to

[tex]A = e^{-mx}[/tex]

but I am not seeing the trick here. I have tried numerous approaches from factoring the denominator and various arrangements of the numerator. I have a feeling it is one of those random tricks i need. Any thoughts?

Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

[tex]A = e^{-mx}[/tex]

I'm sorry it's supposed to come out to be a positive exponent. That is,

[tex]A = e^{mx}[/tex]

I have edited OP.

In that case, I think your error is in the second term in the numerator.
[tex]A = \frac{e^{mx} - e^{2ml + mx}}{1-e^{2ml}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{e^{mx} - e^{2ml}\cdot e^{ mx}}{1-e^{2ml}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{e^{mx}(1 - e^{2ml})}{1-e^{2ml}} = e^{mx}[/tex]

Related to How can I reduce this expression to e^{mx}?

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and analyze relationships between quantities.

2. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps us understand and solve real-world problems involving unknown quantities. It is also a fundamental building block for higher levels of math and other subjects like physics and engineering.

3. Why is algebra difficult?

Algebra can be difficult because it requires a strong foundation in basic math concepts and a lot of practice to fully grasp the rules and techniques. It also involves abstract thinking and can be challenging for some people to visualize.

4. How can I improve my algebra skills?

Improving your algebra skills takes practice and patience. Start by reviewing basic math concepts and then move on to more complex problems. Use resources like textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to help strengthen your understanding.

5. What are some common mistakes in algebra?

Some common mistakes in algebra include forgetting to apply the correct order of operations, making sign errors, and not simplifying expressions correctly. It's important to double check your work and be mindful of these mistakes to avoid errors.