How can I recreate this pressure boiling experiment

In summary, Harry created a vacuum apparatus that is dangerous and not safe to use. He also created a second thread on the same subject that is against the rules.
cazzuey
Hi all,

I was just wondering how I could recreate this at home
What parts do I need?

Thanks,
Harry

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm afraid if you have to ask, you don't have the expertise to do this safely. Sorry.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid if you have to ask, you don't have the expertise to do this safely. Sorry.

What are the safety risks?

cazzuey said:
What are the safety risks?
Well normally pulling a vacuum involves an implosion risk. That jar is not a good vacuum enclosure. But the simple water pump mechanism being used in the video pulls a pretty mild vacuum, so the implosion risk is probably minimal.

Get the water pump thing, and use epoxy to fasten a nipple onto a jar lid, I guess. I'm surprised that it takes such a soft vacuum to cause the water to evaporate like that.

Likes cazzuey
berkeman said:
Get the water pump thing, and use epoxy to fasten a nipple onto a jar lid, I guess. I'm surprised that it takes such a soft vacuum to cause the water to evaporate like that.

I was to, but some intelligent folks on here cleared it up for me; the vacuum caused by the aspirator is only limited by the vapour pressure of water. Basically, I need to get the pressure down to about 1kPa at room temp for evaporation to occur.

I was mostly wondering what the tubing he uses is called so I could get my hands on some. Also, I plan to add another chamber where the evaporated water can collect.

Thanks again all

Why did you create a second thread on the same subject? That is against the PF rules...

berkeman said:
Why did you create a second thread on the same subject? That is against the PF rules...

I asked how I could recreate it here - In the other one I asked about how the pump works. Sorry if I broke the rules. You can ban me or whatever the punishment is. Thanks for the help.

Take a syringe - the larger, the better. Suck a bit of hot water inside, plug the hole (even with a finger), pull the piston. Water will boil instantly, even if for a very short period of time. That's exactly the same effect.

Likes berkeman
Borek said:
Take a syringe - the larger, the better. Suck a bit of hot water inside, plug the hole (even with a finger), pull the piston. Water will boil instantly, even if for a very short period of time. That's exactly the same effect.

I need to do it on a bigger scale like in the video.

berkeman said:
But the simple water pump mechanism being used in the video pulls a pretty mild vacuum, so the implosion risk is probably minimal.
A water pump can get you near as low as the vapour pressure of water which is about 20 mbar while the outside pressure on the vessel is 1 bar.
Hence the pressure difference acting on the vessel is nearly 1 bar which is all what counts in terms of implosion risk. Even with a high vacuum pump it won't be higher.

DrDu said:
A water pump can get you near as low as the vapour pressure of water which is about 20 mbar while the outside pressure on the vessel is 1 bar.
Hence the pressure difference acting on the vessel is nearly 1 bar which is all what counts in terms of implosion risk. Even with a high vacuum pump it won't be higher.
In that case, this thread is closed.

Related to How can I recreate this pressure boiling experiment

1. How do I create the same pressure as in the boiling experiment?

To recreate the same pressure as in the boiling experiment, you will need a pressure vessel or chamber. This can be achieved by using a pressure cooker, a sealed container with a pressure gauge, or a vacuum chamber. The pressure will depend on the type of experiment and the desired results.

2. What materials do I need for this experiment?

The materials you need will depend on the specific boiling experiment you are trying to recreate. However, some common materials may include a heat source (such as a stove or burner), a pressure vessel or chamber, a thermometer, and the materials to be boiled (such as water, oil, or other substances).

3. How do I adjust the temperature and pressure in the experiment?

The temperature and pressure can be adjusted by controlling the heat source and monitoring the pressure gauge or thermometer. You can increase or decrease the heat source to raise or lower the temperature, and adjust the pressure by controlling the amount of gas or air in the pressure vessel.

4. What safety precautions should I take in this experiment?

Safety is always a top priority in any scientific experiment. When recreating a pressure boiling experiment, it is important to use caution when handling hot materials and equipment. Always wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and follow all safety guidelines for the specific materials and equipment being used.

5. Can I recreate this experiment at home?

The ability to recreate this experiment at home will depend on the materials and equipment available to you. Some experiments may require specialized equipment or materials that may not be readily available in a household setting. It is important to carefully consider the safety and feasibility of conducting the experiment at home before proceeding.