How can I prove this elegant equation I discovered using Wolfram Alpha?

In summary, A user discovered an elegant equation on Wolfram Alpha and asked for help proving it. They were directed to a Wikipedia article and a MathWorld proof, but also encouraged to not feel bad for not being able to prove it themselves.
superadvanced
Playing around with Wolfram Alpha I discovered an elegant looking little equation. Judging by the decimal approximation of both sides, there seems to be an extremely high probability that it is true. A picture of the equation is attached but ill try to type it too:

sum(1/n^n,n,1,inf)=integral(1/x^x,x,0,1)

My question is does anyone know how to go about showing this? Wolfram doesn't have much to say about either side of the equation other than decimal approximations. Obviously there is no known anti-derivative for 1/x^x. Thoughts?

Attachments

• New+Picture.jpg
    New+Picture.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 414
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You may wish to look at the "[URL Dream[/url] article in Wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow that's really simple. i feel stupid.

superadvanced said:
wow that's really simple. i feel stupid.

Why feel stupid? It's not an obvious result by any means. The derivation in the linked wikipedia article isn't trivial either. Straightforward if you know what to do, maybe, but not simple enough to feel stupid for not thinking of it.

You found something neat. Don't feel bad that you couldn't prove it. Maybe next time you find something neat you will be able to prove it (even if it is still the case that someone else has proved it previously).

Mute said:
Why feel stupid? It's not an obvious result by any means. The derivation in the linked wikipedia article isn't trivial either. Straightforward if you know what to do, maybe, but not simple enough to feel stupid for not thinking of it.

You found something neat. Don't feel bad that you couldn't prove it. Maybe next time you find something neat you will be able to prove it (even if it is still the case that someone else has proved it previously).

lol I don't understand the wiki proof but there was a much simpler proof I found when googling sophomore's dream. Its on wolfram math world.

Related to How can I prove this elegant equation I discovered using Wolfram Alpha?

What is a random discovery?

A random discovery is an unexpected finding or observation made during a scientific experiment or investigation. It can be something that was not originally intended to be studied or observed, but was noticed by chance.

How do scientists make random discoveries?

Random discoveries can occur in a variety of ways. They can be the result of serendipity, where a scientist notices something unexpected during their research. They can also occur through careful observation and analysis of data, which may reveal patterns or connections that were not previously known.

Are random discoveries important in science?

Yes, random discoveries can be very important in science. They can lead to new insights, discoveries, and advancements in knowledge. Sometimes, they can even lead to the development of new technologies or treatments.

Can random discoveries be reproduced?

In order for a discovery to be considered valid and reliable, it must be able to be reproduced by other scientists. This means that the same results should be able to be obtained by following the same methods and procedures. While random discoveries may not always be easily reproducible, they can still provide valuable insights and spur further research.

What should scientists do when they make a random discovery?

Scientists should carefully document and analyze their random discovery, and share their findings with the scientific community. This can help to further validate the discovery and potentially lead to further research and advancements in the field.