How can I prove the rank of a matrix with a specific pattern of entries?

• MHB
  • Thread starter A.Magnus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix rank
In summary, we are trying to show that the rank of a square matrix $M$ with 1's in the main diagonal and $\frac{1}{k}$ in all other entries is equal to $k$. This can be done by assuming that the column vectors are not linearly independent and showing that they can be used to form standard unit vectors, thus proving their independence. This solution was provided by a member of MHB and is greatly appreciated.
A.Magnus
I would love to get help on this problem: Suppose that $M$ is a square $k \times k$ matrix with entries of 1's in the main diagonal and entries of $\frac{1}{k}$ for all others. Show that the rank of $M$ is $k$.

I think I should go about by contradiction, that is, by assuming that the column vectors are not linearly independent. Since there are $k$ number of column vectors, then hopefully I can show that the rank of $M$ is indeed $k$. Unfortunately I don't know how to put these ideas down in writing; your time and gracious helps are therefore very much appreciated. Thank you - MA

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MaryAnn said:
I would love to get help on this problem: Suppose that $M$ is a square $k \times k$ matrix with entries of 1's in the main diagonal and entries of $\frac{1}{k}$ for all others. Show that the rank of $M$ is $k$.

I think I should go about by contradiction, that is, by assuming that the column vectors are not linearly independent. Since there are $k$ number of column vectors, then hopefully I can show that the rank of $M$ is indeed $k$. Unfortunately I don't know how to put these ideas down in writing; your time and gracious helps are therefore very much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi MaryAnn! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Suppose we add all column vectors together and divide by $1+\frac{k-1}k$, then we get:
$$\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 1\\ \vdots \\ 1\end{bmatrix}$$
Now subtract $k$ times the first column vector:
$$\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 1\\ \vdots \\ 1\end{bmatrix}
- k\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 1/k\\ \vdots \\ 1/k\end{bmatrix}
=\begin{bmatrix}1-k\\ 0\\ \vdots \\ 0\end{bmatrix}
$$
Hey! That's a multiple of a standard unit vector!
Moreover, we can get each unit vector from a linear combination of the column vectors.
Therefore the column vectors are independent.

I like Serena said:
Hi MaryAnn! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Suppose we add all column vectors together and divide by $1+\frac{k-1}k$, then we get:
$$\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 1\\ \vdots \\ 1\end{bmatrix}$$
Now subtract $k$ times the first column vector:
$$\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 1\\ \vdots \\ 1\end{bmatrix}
- k\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 1/k\\ \vdots \\ 1/k\end{bmatrix}
=\begin{bmatrix}1-k\\ 0\\ \vdots \\ 0\end{bmatrix}
$$
Hey! That's a multiple of a standard unit vector!
Moreover, we can get each unit vector from a linear combination of the column vectors.
Therefore the column vectors are independent.

Thank you for your gracious help! This is more than just a genius' solution. - MA

Related to How can I prove the rank of a matrix with a specific pattern of entries?

1. What is the rank of a matrix and why is it important?

The rank of a matrix refers to the number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. It is important because it represents the dimension of the vector space spanned by the columns or rows of the matrix. This information is useful in a variety of applications, including solving systems of linear equations and understanding the properties of linear transformations.

2. How is the rank of a matrix determined?

The rank of a matrix can be determined by performing Gaussian elimination on the matrix to row-reduce it to its reduced row-echelon form. The number of non-zero rows in the reduced matrix will equal the rank of the original matrix.

3. Can the rank of a matrix change?

Yes, the rank of a matrix can change if the matrix is multiplied by a non-invertible matrix. In other words, if the matrix undergoes a linear transformation that is not one-to-one (injective) or onto (surjective), the rank may change.

4. What is the relationship between the rank and the determinant of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is related to the determinant in that a matrix with a non-zero determinant will always have full rank (i.e. the rank will be equal to the number of rows or columns). However, a matrix with a zero determinant may have any rank, including being rank-deficient (having a rank less than the number of rows or columns).

5. How is the rank of a matrix used in solving systems of linear equations?

The rank of a matrix can be used to determine the number of solutions to a system of linear equations. If the rank of the coefficient matrix is equal to the rank of the augmented matrix, the system has a unique solution. If the rank of the coefficient matrix is less than the rank of the augmented matrix, the system has infinitely many solutions. If the ranks of both matrices are equal to the number of variables in the system, the system has no solution.