How can I prevent my PC from shutting down due to a virus?

• Thread starter karthik3k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary, the user is experiencing problems with their computer crashing unexpectedly and sometimes blue screening. They have tried different methods to fix the issue but have not found a permanent solution. They have been told it is not a virus and is a worm. The user has been told to turn off their internet, install the latest updates, and kill the worm with a manual removal instruction.
karthik3k
Virus r something else ?

Im using Win XP Pro.
I have downloaded the latest fix from microsoft site. Ran it.
Downloaded the latest virus definitions. Installed it.
But still my computer crashes unexpectedly.
Sometimes it shows Blue screen.
Sometimes some kinda err in lasass.exe
Sometimes shuts down in 60 secs.
What went wrong ?
Somebody help

Computer science news on Phys.org
You scaned your HD before you downloaded them ?
You are having two computers and both have XPPro installed ?

It isn't a virus. It is a worm. To be more exact is is the sasser worm or a type of variant. You don't need to do anything to get it. I suggest unplugging the internet, turning on atleast the built in microsoft firewall, plugging back the internet, finally going to windows update and downloading every patch there is.

dduardo said:
It isn't a virus. It is a worm. To be more exact is is the sasser worm or a type of variant. You don't need to do anything to get it. I suggest unplugging the internet, turning on atleast the built in microsoft firewall, plugging back the internet, finally going to windows update and downloading every patch there is.

I ran all the latest patch available from microsoft website.
I even updated the Norton Antivirus definitions and scanned my computer.
But still ...

I’m with dduardo.. you’ve been hit with the sasser worm… check this link http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_125007.htm and under the symptoms section see if it resembles what you are seeing. If so follow the instructions there to remove it.

Try the manual removal instructions… however the windows updates should have taken care of it.

HTH,

Last edited by a moderator:
To avoid your PC from shutting down:

When you see the window that tells you the PC will shut down in 60 seconds, click on Start. Then select "Run". In the new window that appears type this text:
Code:
shutdown -a
You have now prevented the shutdown (once) and have enough time to download a Sasser removal tool and kill the virus. Note: before you kill the virus, visit windows update and make sure you have the latest updates installed, or you will get hit again right away.
Further note: It is important to turn off System Restore before removing the worm, or the restore function will restore the virus after reboot. Instructions on how to do that can be found on the symantec website, for instance.

Related to How can I prevent my PC from shutting down due to a virus?

1. What is a virus?

A virus is a microscopic infectious agent that replicates inside the living cells of an organism. It can cause a wide range of diseases, including the common cold, flu, and more serious illnesses like HIV and Ebola.

2. How do viruses spread?

Viruses can spread through various means, including direct contact with an infected person, inhalation of respiratory droplets, ingestion of contaminated food or water, and contact with infected surfaces or objects.

3. How can I protect myself from viruses?

To protect yourself from viruses, it is important to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly, avoiding close contact with sick individuals, and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces. Vaccines are also available for some viruses.

4. How do viruses mutate?

Viruses can mutate through errors in their genetic code during replication or through genetic recombination when two different viruses infect the same cell. These mutations can result in new strains of the virus with different characteristics.

5. Can viruses be treated with antibiotics?

No, antibiotics are only effective against bacterial infections. Viruses do not respond to antibiotics, and using them unnecessarily can contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Antiviral medications may be prescribed for certain viral infections.