How can I plot the electric field vs position for two charges?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the relationship between electric field and position, and how to plot this relationship. The homework equations involve force per unit charge. The student is asking for help in understanding the difference between options 3 and 4 and is requesting a detailed explanation with appropriate formulas. They are also reminded to provide the equations in their homework submission.
Jay_sangani14
view

Homework Statement

:- electric field vs position how to plot it[/B]

Homework Equations

:- force per unit charge[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

:- i know option 1 and 2 can never be an answer to this question but still i am confused between 3 and 4 option and help me solve with proper equation[/B]

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-18-17-36-50-406_com.google.android.apps.docs.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-18-17-36-50-406_com.google.android.apps.docs.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
A positive E usually means an electric field that goes to the right, or a force towards positive x on positive charges.

mfb said:
A positive E usually means an electric field that goes to the right, or a force towards positive x on positive charges.
Please can you give detailed explanation of my questions with appropriate formula

Jay_sangani14 said:
Please can you give detailed explanation of my questions with appropriate formula
You should provide the equations (part 2 of the homework template).

DrClaude said:
You should provide the equations (part 2 of the homework template).

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 396

Related to How can I plot the electric field vs position for two charges?

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field from two point charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field from two point charges is E = k * (q1/r1^2 + q2/r2^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99x10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances from the charges to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

2. How do the direction and strength of the electric field vary around two opposite charges?

The direction of the electric field around two opposite charges will be away from the positive charge and towards the negative charge. The strength of the electric field will decrease as you move further away from the charges.

3. Can two positive charges create an attractive electric field?

No, two positive charges will always repel each other and create a repulsive electric field. Attraction can only occur between two opposite charges.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

5. Is the electric field from two charges affected by the medium surrounding them?

Yes, the electric field from two charges can be affected by the medium surrounding them. This is because the medium can have an impact on the charges, such as changing their positions or polarizing them, which in turn can alter the electric field. However, in a vacuum, the electric field will only be affected by the charges themselves.