Latest Terror Warning: Is it Just to Cover Their Backs?

• News
  • Thread starter ptex
  • Start date
In summary, the terror warning in the United States is supposed to be an indicator of the threat level of possible terrorist activity, but so far I've seen nothing but false alarms and "cry wolf" tactics come from it. It goes from yellow to orange, then to red for a week, then back down to orange, and hovers around yellow-orange for a long period of time. It seems more like the stock market rather than an actual indicator of threats. Ja, I've heard on the news aout supposed Al-Qeada related threats that USA is going to get attaked again. I'm also leaning slightly to the belief that these are just diversionary tactics meant to cover the govts.
ptex
Anyone else think the warning is just to cover their butts just in case something happens to happen over the summer. The summer is a big span of time. We may after summer get a warning for fall.

Physics news on Phys.org
what warning is this?

The terror warning in the U.S. is supposed to be an indicator of the threat level of possible terrorist activity since 9/11, but so far I've seen nothing but false alarms and "cry wolf" tactics come from it. Goes from yellow to orange, then to red for a week, then back down to orange, and hovers around yellow-orange for a long period of time. Seems more like the stock market rather than an actual indicator of threats.

Ja, I've heard on the news aout supposed Al-Qeada related threats that USA is going to get attaked again. I'm also leaning slightly to the belief that these are just diversionary tactics meant to cover the govts. backs but I'm starting to slowly wonder WHY does the defence ministry (or whoever) continuously provide the media with info like this? Aren't intelligence concerns suppose to be kept as low profile as possible? I know that when a govt. hears of a planned attack against them, the normally sort it out before any member of the general public ever finds out. It''s just fishy!

Or I may just be watching too many conspiracy movies! :rofl:

The public is a good weapon against terrorism. Maybe that's why they were alerted

What do you think would happen if this was followed in secret and there was an attack?
Why should they NOT mention something they are following?? Do you think that public attention to a perceived threat would increase that threat?

Thanks to the fallout from the Madrid bombings, Bush has spun the specter of a terrorist attack prior to an election as: "If you vote me out, then the terrorists win!". Also, the "announcement" came as Bush's ratings hit their lowest ever. It is a bit suspicious, any way you slice it.

I suspect it's simply a matter of trying to scare everybody with the threat of an imminent terrorist attack, so that people feel an increased need to be "protected". After all, that's what about 99% of this "terrorism" stuff's been about, making out the threat posed by a small group of psychos living in Afghanistan into being some kind of enormous army of faceless terrorists plotting to take over the world. Bush is just trying to get people nice and scared about terrorism, so that hopefully they'll vote for him.

Grqc and Pyrovus, prove your findings.
Untill then, conspiracy theories

studentx said:

holy cow, what are you? 8? Stop embarrassing yourself and those who have a similar political orientation as you but actually CAN debate or prove a point.

:uhh:

I think there's a policy on this forum against personal attacks. Now, I have at times crossed that line (barely) but, the repeated attacks I've seen against this guy are really going a bit far.

And, he's right, if you can't support your statements they really have little to no value and are definitely bordering on "conspiracy theories."

I have crossed the line as well Kat, and i apologized on my knees.

phoenixy said:
holy cow, what are you? 8? Stop embarrassing yourself and those who have a similar political orientation as you but actually CAN debate or prove a point.

:uhh:

Phoenixy, i spoke powerful words of wisdom and they ignited you. Did you disagree with these words , or did you just not like the truth? I feel it is my duty to protect the truth on these forums!

studentx said:
Phoenixy, i spoke powerful words of wisdom and they ignited you. Did you disagree with these words , or did you just not like the truth? I feel it is my duty to protect the truth on these forums!

Here is some truth and wisdom

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.
- Isaac Asimov

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

studentx said:

My statements aren't "theories", so I'm not sure what there is to prove. Bush's approval ratings hit about 42%, and the terror warning comes out. After the Madrid bombings, Bush professed that voting out supporters of the Iraq war (or the war on terrorism, which frequently get confused) is tantamount to 'surrendering to the terrorists'.

By the way, the Department of Homeland Security was completely surprised by the recent terror warning. Doesn't that strike you as odd, since it's their job to know about these things?

GRQC said:
My statements aren't "theories", so I'm not sure what there is to prove. Bush's approval ratings hit about 42%, and the terror warning comes out. After the Madrid bombings, Bush professed that voting out supporters of the Iraq war (or the war on terrorism, which frequently get confused) is tantamount to 'surrendering to the terrorists'.

But this is not what you said earlier, which was:

GRQC said:
Thanks to the fallout from the Madrid bombings, Bush has spun the specter of a terrorist attack prior to an election as: "If you vote me out, then the terrorists win!".

Here you say it as a fact, that Bush is using the madrid bombings to manipulate the population. Where is your proof? Absolutely, it does affect the population. Every single word Bush says influences the population, so there is limitless opportunity to make claims like this in the future. Unfortunately, that is exactly what has been happening for a long time now and is what manipulates the largest group of people on this planet.

By the way, the Department of Homeland Security was completely surprised by the recent terror warning. Doesn't that strike you as odd, since it's their job to know about these things?

Also, the "announcement" came as Bush's ratings hit their lowest ever. It is a bit suspicious, any way you slice it.

What you are implying, hasnt been proven. Suspicious, sure! But innocent until proven guilty. Alerting the population for possible attacks, is this a crime? Is it a crime because it might raise Bush' approval ratings, and you are anti Bush?
I think you yourself, and QRQC,and Shahil, Ptex, Motai, in fact 90% of this forum are proof that the latest terror warnings don't make Bush popular at all. In fact the opposite is true isn't it?

phoenixy said:
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

You attacked me phoenixy (and to my surprise no apologies yet). Wise people don't attack others for no reason, and they especially don't attack an 8yr old innocent child which you assumed i was :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't see how the warning can have any meaning for the general public unless to generate fear, as (AFAIK) some of the names were of people who were either already in jail or outside of the country. I'm not doubting that there might be "chatter," but last time there was chatter they grounded a fleet of British Airways flights & suddenly Madrid was hit.
And why, oh why, is it Attorney General John Ashcroft proclaiming the terror threat and not Homesec director Tom Ridge? Homesec learns about the terror threat from watching the news?!

studentx said:
Here you say it as a fact, that Bush is using the madrid bombings to manipulate the population. Where is your proof?

Look, that is exactly what he is doing. It isn't a theory -- it's quite plainly a fact. No conspiracy theory here, just listen to what the man says in his speeches.

Is it a crime because it might raise Bush' approval ratings, and you are anti Bush?

It is unethical fear-mongering -- and quite frankly should be a crime -- if he says it to raise approval ratings.

1. What is the latest terror warning and why was it issued?

The latest terror warning is a statement or alert issued by government agencies or law enforcement to warn the public about a potential terrorist threat. It is usually issued in response to intelligence or specific information that suggests an attack may be imminent.

2. Is the latest terror warning just to cover their backs?

No, the latest terror warning is not just to cover their backs. Government agencies and law enforcement take any potential threat seriously and issuing a warning is a precautionary measure to protect the public and prevent any potential attacks.

3. How do government agencies determine the credibility of a terror warning?

Government agencies use various intelligence and security measures to determine the credibility of a terror warning. This may include analyzing the source of the threat, corroborating information, and evaluating the potential impact and likelihood of an attack.

4. What should I do if I see something suspicious after a terror warning has been issued?

If you see something suspicious, you should immediately report it to the authorities. Do not ignore any potential threat and always err on the side of caution.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest terror warnings?

You can stay updated on the latest terror warnings by regularly checking the news and official government websites. You can also sign up for emergency alerts or follow government agencies on social media for immediate updates.