How can I make singular matrix become nonsingular matrix?

In summary, the matrix C is orthogonal if and only if the following holds:1. The matrix A is singular.2. The matrix B is orthogonal.3. The determinant of the matrix C is 1.
munirah
<< Mentor Note -- thread moved from Homework Help forums to General Math >>

Good day,

I run coding in Mathematica. But, I get singular matrix A at certain loop. In theory, how can I make matrix A become orthogonal

A=\begin{pmatrix} 0& 0 &
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0& 0 &
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0& 0 &
0 & 0 & -1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0& 0 &
0 & 0 & 0 & -1 & 0 & 0\\ 0& 0 &
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\\ 0& 0 &
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

because I want to make a unitary transformation on matrix B

B=\begin{pmatrix} 1& 0 &
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0& 0 &
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\\ 0& 0 &
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}

with using definition AB A^{-1} since matrix A is orthogonal matrix.

Please help me to figure out my problem.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Afaict, you haven't given us enough information to enable us to help you.

Your ##A## matrix is singular. Without further information, you can't magically make it nonsingular.

strangerep said:
Afaict, you haven't given us enough information to enable us to help you.

Your ##A## matrix is singular. Without further information, you can't magically make it nonsingular.
Thank you for respond. I want to make unitary transformation to the state B. When I run the coding, at certain time, the matrix become singular. How can I solve it hence it will give the result of the trace equal to 1

Sorry, but unless you can better understand the meaning of "you haven't given us enough information", I doubt anyone can help you.

You could vary the matrix entries by a small (infinitesimal) amount to get it regular or even unitary. But as long as you cannot control the meaning of such a manipulation, your results become worthless. It would be a topological method, and you have to assure beforehand, that this is a valid method to do. Normally, i.e. when considered the pure algebraic or geometrical aspects of a linear equation, this won't be allowed, or to be exact: only within very special conditions. (V. Strassen once considered aspects of the Zariski-topology to prove lower bounds on the complexity of matrix multiplication.)

This means you can't do this, e.g. to get rid of the kernel.
So in the generality you stated your question, the answer has very likely to be: It cannot be done (without smashing the outcome).

Likes munirah
Your A matrix is so far from orthogonal that it just zeros out 6 of the 8 dimensions. And it zeros out the only dimension where B has a non-zero element. So making A orthogonal would be totally fabricated.

That being said, I will take a wild stab at something. If you are asking for an orthogonal matrix that has the -1s of A but leaves the other dimensions unchanged (instead of zeroed out), then this might be what you want. It just negates and swaps the 3rd and 5th dimensions and it negates and swaps the 4th and 6th dimensions, leaving the other dimensions 1,2,7,8 unchanged.

C =\begin{pmatrix}
1& 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0& 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 & 0 & 0 & -1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & -1 & 0 & 0\\
0& 0 & -1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0& 0 & 0 & -1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0& 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0& 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}

Last edited:
Likes munirah
Thank you for respond it. It check it and yes,I made a mistake from multiply the matrix. Thank you all.

Related to How can I make singular matrix become nonsingular matrix?

Question 1: What is a singular matrix?

A singular matrix is a square matrix with a determinant of 0. This means that the matrix cannot be inverted and does not have a unique solution.

Question 2: Why is it important to have a nonsingular matrix?

A nonsingular matrix is important because it has a unique solution and can be inverted. This is necessary for solving equations and performing certain operations in linear algebra.

Question 3: How can I determine if a matrix is singular or nonsingular?

To determine if a matrix is singular or nonsingular, you can calculate its determinant. If the determinant is 0, the matrix is singular. If the determinant is not 0, the matrix is nonsingular.

Question 4: What are some ways to make a singular matrix become nonsingular?

One way to make a singular matrix become nonsingular is by adding a small value (known as a perturbation) to the diagonal elements of the matrix. Another method is to use matrix decomposition techniques such as LU decomposition or Cholesky decomposition.

Question 5: Can I always make a singular matrix become nonsingular?

No, it is not always possible to make a singular matrix become nonsingular. In some cases, the matrix may be inherently singular and cannot be transformed into a nonsingular matrix.