How Can I Load and Format Dates in MATLAB from an Excel or Text File?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter carlosvelcab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Matlab
In summary, to load dates in MATLAB, you need to convert the string to a date-type variable using datenum and then use the datestr function to format it as desired. For example, by using datenum('2000 03 01', 'yyyy dd mm') and datestr(time, 'mmmm dd, yyyy').
carlosvelcab
hi every one, I have a problem for load dates in matlab, I have 2488 dates
in xls file and txt file but I can't make that MATLAB read the number as a dates? Does anybody know how to do it?
for example I have this:
2000 03 01
2000 04 01
2000 05 01
2000 06 01

And I want that MATLAB shows me

03-Jan-2000
04-Jan-2000
05-Jan-2000

please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
++ Firstly, you need to convert string to date-type variable by using datenum.
Ex: datenum('2000 03 01', 'yyyy dd mm')

++ Secondly, using datestr:
Ex: datestr(time, 'mmmm dd, yyyy')

Combining: datestr(datenum('2000 03 01', 'yyyy dd mm'), 'mmmm dd, yyyy')

Hope this helps

Loading dates in MATLAB can be done using the "datenum" function. This function converts date strings or numbers into MATLAB's internal date format. To load dates from an Excel or text file, you can use the "xlsread" or "textread" functions, respectively, and then use the "datenum" function on the imported data.

For example, if your dates are in a column in an Excel file named "dates.xlsx", you can use the following code to read the dates and convert them into MATLAB's date format:

[num,txt,raw] = xlsread('dates.xlsx'); %read the data from the Excel file
dates = datenum(txt); %convert the imported date strings into MATLAB's date format

Similarly, if your dates are in a text file named "dates.txt", you can use the following code to read and convert them:

dates = textread('dates.txt','%4d%2d%2d'); %read the data from the text file and format it as a 3-column vector
dates = datenum(dates); %convert the vector into MATLAB's date format

Once the dates are loaded into MATLAB, you can use the "datestr" function to display them in your desired format. For example, to display the dates in the format "DD-MMM-YYYY", you can use the following code:

formatted_dates = datestr(dates,'DD-mmm-YYYY'); %convert the dates into the desired format
disp(formatted_dates); %display the formatted dates in the command window

I hope this helps. If you encounter any further issues, please refer to MATLAB's documentation or seek assistance from the MATLAB community.

Related to How Can I Load and Format Dates in MATLAB from an Excel or Text File?

1. How can I load dates into MATLAB?

To load dates into MATLAB, you can use the datenum function. This function converts date strings or date vectors into serial date numbers, which can then be used in MATLAB calculations and plots.

2. Can I load dates from a spreadsheet into MATLAB?

Yes, you can load dates from a spreadsheet into MATLAB by first importing the spreadsheet data using the readtable or xlsread function. Then, you can use the datenum function to convert the date column into serial date numbers.

3. How do I specify the date format when loading dates into MATLAB?

You can specify the date format using the 'InputFormat' parameter in the datenum function. This parameter allows you to specify the format of the date strings in your data, such as 'dd-mmm-yyyy' or 'mm/dd/yyyy'.

4. Can I load dates from a text file into MATLAB?

Yes, you can load dates from a text file into MATLAB by using the textscan function. This function allows you to specify the format of the data in your text file, including any date columns, and then reads the data into MATLAB variables.

5. How do I handle missing or invalid dates when loading data into MATLAB?

You can use the isnan function to check for and handle missing or invalid dates when loading data into MATLAB. This function returns a logical array indicating which elements of a date vector are not a valid date, which you can then remove or replace as needed.