How Can I Integrate the Equation for a Rocket's Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rocket being accelerated by a constant force and losing mass at a constant rate due to burning fuel. The resulting equation for acceleration is given, and the speaker expresses a desire to integrate it to find a formula for the rocket's velocity. They receive help in the form of a u-substitution, leading to the final formula for velocity.
DonDiablo
Hi - I just thought of a (relatively) simple example: Here is the problem I can't solve due to my disability to integrate the resulting equation:

I thought about a rocket that gets accelerated by a constant force F... Since the rocket is burning fuel and therefor losing mass at a conatnt rate its acceleration is not constant. Its mass is given by m=m0 - mL*t - with m0 being its mass at the start of the operation and mL being the rate at which it is losing weight (being constant). Since the force with which the rocket is accelerated is constant I get the following equation:

F= (m0-(m/T)*t)*a now i want to form that so I get "a" which I want then to integrate after t to get a formula for the rockets velocity! a=F/(m0-(m/T)*t)! This is the formula I don't know how to integrate! Help would be greatly appreciated! Lg Don

Physics news on Phys.org
DonDiablo said:
I want then to integrate after t to get a formula for the rockets velocity!
$$a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{F}{m_{0}-m_{L}t}$$
$$dv=\frac{Fdt}{m_{0}-m_{L}t}$$
$$\int dv=\int\frac{Fdt}{m_{0}-m_{L}t}$$
Using a u-substitution ##u=1-m_{L}t/m_{0}##,
$$\int dv=-\frac{F}{m_{L}}\int\frac{du}{u}$$
$$v=-\frac{F}{m_{L}}\text{ln}(u)+C$$
$$v=-\frac{F}{m_{L}}\text{ln}\left(1-\frac{m_{L}}{m_{0}}t\right)+v_{0}$$

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! I know that this is just a standard example but it still amazes me hoe you found the substitution! Wouldn't have come there so easy! Lg Don

Related to How Can I Integrate the Equation for a Rocket's Velocity?

1. How does a rocket work?

A rocket works by using the principle of action and reaction. It expels hot gases out of its engines, which creates thrust in the opposite direction and propels the rocket forward.

2. What are the main parts of a rocket?

The main parts of a rocket include the payload (the cargo or equipment being carried), the rocket engines, the fuel tanks, and the guidance system.

3. How does a rocket achieve escape velocity?

A rocket achieves escape velocity by using a combination of powerful engines and carefully calculated trajectory. It must reach a speed of around 25,000 miles per hour to break free from Earth's gravitational pull.

4. What materials are used to make a rocket?

The materials used to make a rocket vary depending on its purpose and design. Generally, rockets are made of lightweight metals such as aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber, as well as heat-resistant materials like ceramics and ablative materials.

5. How do scientists control the trajectory of a rocket?

Scientists control the trajectory of a rocket through a guidance system, which uses sensors, computers, and thrusters to make adjustments to the rocket's direction and speed. They also take into account factors such as wind and gravitational forces to ensure the rocket stays on its intended path.