How can I integrate and find the moment of inertia for a circle?

In summary, the conversation was about solving for the moment of inertia given by the formula I = \int y^2 dA. It was discussed that for a rectangle with base parallel to the x axis, dA is equal to xdy and the integration is easy. However, for objects like a circle or triangle, dA is more complicated. It was suggested to use polar coordinates for a circle, where dA = r dr dθ. It was also clarified that the given formula is specifically for the moment of inertia when rotating around the x-axis. Lastly, an example was given for finding the moment of inertia of a disk in polar coordinates.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
In school, I'm doing this thing called moment of inertia given by the formula

[tex]I = \int y^2 dA[/tex]

If the object being solved for is a rectangle where the base of it is parallel to the x axis, dA is equal to xdy. From there, the integration is easy. If the object to solve the integration for is a circle (or anything with slants like a triangle), I don't know how to do it. How do I solve for dA of a circle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider circular rings with inner and outer radius r and r+dr Then dA=rdr

"dA" is the "differential of area". If you have a circle centered at the origin, then polar coordinates are natural and dA= r dr dθ.

In Cartesian coordinates dA= dxdy. That can be used when you are talking about a circle but the calculations for the limits of integration will be more complicated.

By the way, do you understand that the formula you give is specifically for the moment of inertia when rotating around the x-axis?

In polar coordinates, y= r cosθ so the moment of inertia of a disk, of radius R, centered at (0,0) and rotated around the x-axis is:

∫θ=02π∫r=0Rr2cos2(r dr dθ)

Related to How can I integrate and find the moment of inertia for a circle?

1. What is the purpose of integrating and circles in scientific research?

Integrating and circles are used in scientific research to analyze and understand complex systems or phenomena, by breaking them down into smaller components or variables and examining their interrelationships.

2. How is integrating and circles different from other data analysis methods?

Integrating and circles are unique because they take into account multiple variables and their interactions, rather than just looking at one variable in isolation. This allows for a more holistic understanding of the system being studied.

3. What types of data are usually used for integrating and circles?

Integrating and circles can be used with any type of data, including quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods data. The key is to have enough data points to identify patterns and relationships between variables.

4. How is the process of integrating and circles carried out?

The process of integrating and circles typically involves identifying the variables or factors that may be influencing a system, constructing a diagram to visually represent their relationships, and then analyzing the data to determine the strength and direction of these relationships.

5. What are the benefits of using integrating and circles in scientific research?

Integrating and circles can help researchers gain a deeper understanding of complex systems, identify key factors or variables that are driving a phenomenon, and inform the development of interventions or solutions to address the issue at hand.