How can I integrate a sinusoidal current in an L-C circuit undergoing resonance?

• Thread starter Ivegottheskill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of an L-C circuit undergoing resonance, with the current varying sinusoidally as I(t) = I*cos(omega*t). The question arises of how to properly integrate in this case, with one solution being I*sin(omega*t)/omega. Omega is a constant, usually representing angular frequency, and frequency is also a constant. The value of I is also a constant, typically at t = 0.
Ivegottheskill
An L-C circuit will undergo resonance, with the current varying sinusoidally, where:
I(t) = I*cos(omega*t)

I keep getting stuck with an answer of I*t*sin(omega*t)

Can't find anything on the standard table of integrals that would indicate this is incorrect

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the answer of I*t*sin(omega*t)

I*cos(omega*t)

omega's just a constant then? I'll call it a

I*cos(at)

I's a constant too, so you'll only integrat cos(at)

which should be sin(at)/a

so I*sin(omega*t)/omega?

Other possibility, since I'm not sure myself, is that you can express omega as a function of time, can't you? (2pi*frequency)and frequency is like 1/t or something. I dunno, I think the first way's right

Edit: Wait, I isn't a constant, well whatever, I'll leave this post up here for learning purposes but methinks it's rubbish

so I*sin(omega*t)/omega?
That looks correct. I wasn't sure what you were integrating.

omega isn't a funtion of time - it is a constant.

omega is only a funtion of time if it varies with time.
frequency isn't a function of time either, but usually, a constant value. frequency is simply the rate at which something changes wrt time. But that rate of change is constant!

schattenjaeger said:
Edit: Wait, I isn't a constant, well whatever, I'll leave this post up here for learning purposes but methinks it's rubbish

That I is a constant - it's the value of the current at time t = 0 (usually).

Thanks I'll give that a shot. Sorry for the confusion, omega was a constant (angular frequency). I'm worried about how much high school stuff I've already forgotten :eek:

I wasn't sure how to properly intergrate in that case.

I tried looking it up, but could only find the simple cases (i.e. integrate sin x = cos x)

Last edited:

Related to How can I integrate a sinusoidal current in an L-C circuit undergoing resonance?

1. How do I integrate this?

Integrating something means combining it with another thing in a way that they work together. Depending on what specifically you are trying to integrate, there may be different methods and techniques to do so. It's important to understand the purpose and function of the thing you are trying to integrate in order to determine the best approach.

2. What is the purpose of integration?

The purpose of integration is to create a cohesive system or process by combining different elements or components. This can lead to increased efficiency, improved functionality, and better overall results. Integration can also help to bridge the gap between different technologies or systems, allowing them to communicate and work together seamlessly.

3. What are some common integration techniques?

Common integration techniques include using APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) to connect different software or systems, using middleware to facilitate communication between different components, and using data mapping to ensure that information is transferred accurately between systems. Other techniques may involve using specific coding languages or software tools to integrate different technologies.

4. How do I determine the best integration method for my project?

The best integration method for your project will depend on several factors, such as the specific technologies or systems involved, the goals and requirements of your project, and the resources and expertise available. It's important to carefully research and evaluate different integration methods to determine which one will best suit your needs and achieve your desired outcomes.

5. What are some challenges that may arise during integration?

Some common challenges that may arise during integration include compatibility issues between different technologies or systems, data transfer errors, and security concerns. It's important to thoroughly test and troubleshoot the integration process to identify and address any potential challenges before they impact the functioning of the integrated system.