How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry for Calculus II?

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the author is struggling with Calculus II. He skipped college algebra and trigonometry and went straight into Calculus. He found that it was fairly easy, but he is having trouble with Calc II. He is considering buying a trig textbook from the campus bookstore, but he is also considering studying the unit circle and playing with it on his own, and he has a friend that has developed an awesome diagram for multiplication and addition of trig functions. He himself skipped trig in high school, but he does not remember the usual trig concepts. He is currently studying trigpower series and is having a hard time with it. He has a "ah-ha!" moment after he memorizes.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
I skipped college albebra and trigonometry and went straight into Calculus. It was fairly easy, I had to learn trig as I went, but I got an A.

I'm now in Calc II, using a different book through a different school (A university rather than a campus) and I'm starting to have troubles.

Is there a book or a site or a clever system I can study that will broaden my trig understanding? I've considered just buying a trig textbook from the campus bookstore.

I've studied the unit circle a lot and played with it on my own, and I have friend that has developed an awesome diagram for multiplication and addition of trig functions, but I assume working through problems is the best thing I can do, but these books are so &%*@&$ expen$ive

Physics news on Phys.org
the best way is to realize that trig is a special case of the exponential fuinction studied in calculus, and use that to shortcut learning trig.

I myself skipped trig in high school and never learned the usual trig until i had to teach it. the main pooint is that e^(ix) = cos(x) +isin(x), where e^z is defiend by the powers eries e^z = 1 + z + z^2/2! + z^3/3! + z^4/4! +... for any complex number z.

then one defiens cos and sin by soilving the equation abovce.

i.e. cos(x) = (1/2)[e^(ix) + e^(-ix)] and sin(x) = (1/2i)[e^(ix) - e^(-ix)].

Then one proves that e^(x+y) = e^x e^y, and that [e^x]^y = e^[xy].

One deduces that cos(x+y) = cos(x)cos(y) - sin(x)sin(y),

and sin(x+y) = cos(x)sin(y) + cos(y)sin(x). (I hope)

since also e^(2<pi>i) = 1, one concludes that cos and sin are periodic with period 2<pi>.

tyhis reduces the compicated laws for trig functions to the simpler laws for exponential functions and makes life simpler.

Calc 2 is tougher than Calc 1, especially in how you apply trig... just wait for integration methods...trig plays a major role.

I took trig in high school and did not take it seriously so when I got to college and got to calc 2 it had been about 3 years since I took my have effort trig class. I basically had to take a crash course in trig and muscle my way through. I found that the amount of trig in Calc 2 was sufficient for me to become good enough at it, and I got better as I went along. Sure, I was lost some times and I had to take a few more minutes to figure something out at first, but by the final, I knew what identities to use and how to use them.

yeah, we're on trig substitution right now. I guess just doing the problems and writing down my realizations as notes is the best way to go about it.

The power series is kind of tough to use since I haven't had much practice with it. I have a friend who showed me a bit about that, but it's sometimes just more practical to memorize things.

The ah-ha! moment will come to me sooner or later after I memorize. I guess that's a weird learning style, but it's what I've found works best for me, despite my hate for memorizing vs. learning

Related to How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry for Calculus II?

1. What are some tips for studying for Calc II?

One tip for studying for Calc II is to review the material regularly instead of cramming right before a test. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and to seek help from a tutor or professor if needed.

2. How can I improve my understanding of concepts in Calc II?

One way to improve your understanding of concepts in Calc II is to actively engage with the material by asking questions and working through practice problems. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to discuss and explain concepts to each other.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in Calc II?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Calc II include not showing enough work, not checking for algebraic errors, and not understanding the underlying concepts behind the formulas and equations. It is important to take your time and carefully work through each step of a problem to avoid making these mistakes.

4. How can I prepare for tests in Calc II?

To prepare for tests in Calc II, it is important to review class notes, practice problems, and past tests. Make sure to understand the concepts and formulas rather than just memorizing them. It can also be helpful to simulate test conditions by timing yourself and practicing with similar types of problems.

5. What resources are available for students struggling with Calc II?

There are many resources available for students struggling with Calc II, such as tutoring services, study groups, and online resources. Your professor or academic advisor may also be able to provide additional support or resources. It is important to seek help early on if you are struggling, rather than waiting until it is too late.