How can I improve my search results on Physics Forums?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the poor quality of the internal search engine on the forum and how it displays results. Suggestions are made to improve the search function, including using Google to index the site. There is also a humorous exchange about the motivation behind limiting search capabilities.
I_am_learning
The search engine of this forum is too poor or may be I don't know how to use it.
I tried to search for threads regarding "Induction Motor" in Electrical Engineering Forum, but it seems that it comes up with every threads that contains either of the words Induction or Motor. Moreover, the threads are sorted Chronologically than by Relevance.

oops: Sorry for the misspelled Frorum. Why can't I edit it?

Physics news on Phys.org

If you click "Advanced Search" in the Search menu, you can choose which forums to search.

They should be shown in order of relevance.

Hit the edit button and it should be in there.

Thanks.
I hadn't realized there is an advanced search in therre. But still It don't show only threads that contains both of the words "Induction Motor" exactly. Like a google search would do. Are you sure it does like that? Or maybe, I am not looking hard

Editing, couldn't edit the titile of thread.

Once in Advanced Search, in the bottom right is a list of all forums / subforums.

You simply highlight which you want to search.

Nice and simply, enter the term you want to find. Scroll down the list and click "Electrical Engineering" (or whichever you want) and then hit Search.

I guess there is some forum software that lots of totally unrelated forums use. I recognise some of the stuff above where I am writing as the same as on other forums I go to or nearly, down to details. On another one I go to you search something you know is there and it often doesn't find it. But then if you wait for 30 sec and try again it finds it.

Try that and tell us if any success.

epenguin said:
I guess there is some forum software that lots of totally unrelated forums use.

Indeed, many forums say "powered by vBulletin" at the bottom of the page, such as on this page. :smile:

jarednjames said:
Once in Advanced Search, in the bottom right is a list of all forums / subforums.

You simply highlight which you want to search.

Nice and simply, enter the term you want to find. Scroll down the list and click "Electrical Engineering" (or whichever you want) and then hit Search.

Sorry for not making my point clear, earlier. I don't have any problem searching in specific forum. I am only talking about the quality of search result.

Borek, its no good at all. For my case I did the following:
Search Keywords: "Induction Motor"
Find Threads with atlest : 1 Replies
Prefix: any perfix
Any date
Sort by: Relevance Descnending order
Show: Threads
Search in Forums: Electrical Engineering

Then I get a list of search Result. And The fourth result don't even have the word "Induction", but only lots of 'motors'. Although I am sure there are lot of threads that contains the exact words "Induction Motor", but way behind in the list.

Serious issue with the internal search engine.

It's a keyword only search. Gold members, Homework Helpers, Science Advisors, and Mentors/Admins can do boolean searches.

jhae2.718 said:
It's a keyword only search. Gold members, Homework Helpers, Science Advisors, and Mentors/Admins can do boolean searches.

Well spotted.

I was, uh, testing to see if anyone else would realize it too. :rolleyes:

I don't see any reason why you would like to limit the search facilites for us. Pherhaps because you want us not to find the desired thread and hence the answer to our queries, so effectively forcing us to re-start another thread, hence increase the forum activity and hence popularity and thus increase income ($$$) through adds and finally buy a luxurious car and goto a luxurious hotel and sleep in a luxurious bed and ... I think I should stop now. :)
Yeah, that's both a humour and a question.

thecritic said:
I don't see any reason why you would like to limit the search facilites for us. Pherhaps because you want us not to find the desired thread and hence the answer to our queries, so effectively forcing us to re-start another thread, hence increase the forum activity and hence popularity and thus increase income ($$$) through adds and finally buy a luxurious car and goto a luxurious hotel and sleep in a luxurious bed and ... I think I should stop now. :)

It's all part of the greater conspiracy to conquer the world, but I've already said too much...

thecritic said:

From what I know these searches are heavy on the resources, that's why they are limited.

thecritic said:
Sorry for not making my point clear, earlier. I don't have any problem searching in specific forum. I am only talking about the quality of search result.

Borek, its no good at all. For my case I did the following:
Search Keywords: "Induction Motor"
Find Threads with atlest : 1 Replies
Prefix: any perfix
Any date
Sort by: Relevance Descnending order
Show: Threads
Search in Forums: Electrical Engineering

Then I get a list of search Result. And The fourth result don't even have the word "Induction", but only lots of 'motors'. Although I am sure there are lot of threads that contains the exact words "Induction Motor", but way behind in the list.

Serious issue with the internal search engine.

Borek advised using Google to index the site. I'm assuming you misunderstood him, because your reply doesn't follow from what he suggested.

thecritic said:

Searching is resource intensive, as previously mentioned, so it makes sense to try to limit internal forum searches as much as possible. Also, yes, better search features come to those who contribute(https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php" ) to the site. So, the restriction seems to be partially used to generate income.

It's probably worth pointing out that the income is used to keep the site running, not to buy Greg Bernhardt a Mercedes...or so we're told. Come to think of it, I've never seen Greg not driving a Mercedes...something's fishy here!:devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
thecritic said:
... hence increase the forum activity and hence popularity and thus increase income ($$$) through adds and finally buy a luxurious car and goto a luxurious hotel and sleep in a luxurious bed and ... ...

G01 said:
It's probably worth pointing out that the income is used to keep the site running, not to buy Greg Bernhardt a Mercedes...

I've been here long enough to see that profit is not a consideration. If you are interested, check out the "Physics Forums History" link in my signature.

Dembadon said:
Borek advised using Google to index the site. I'm assuming you misunderstood him, because your reply doesn't follow from what he suggested.

I din't realize Borek's post had a link in there. Wow! google does the trick.
Are all histroy of posts in physics forums (from starting) searchable by google?

If resource intensiveness is the problem, can't we embed google search into PF, so actual searching is done by google and not by PF. Oh! It may not be necessary, you can always go to www.google.com and search.

But you can't have other search features such as "No of replies, views, only by this member" etc etc by using google search.So, that's a put down. Yeah, yeah I understand, I only get what I pay for.

thanks jhae2.718 for the link. I am onto it now.

dlgoff said:
I've been here long enough to see that profit is not a consideration.

That's what we are told. At the same time Greg travels every few months to some remote places, invites all Mentors to Bora Bora (I wasn't Mentor then, so I can't comment on the accommodation quality) and so on.

And, as G01 correctly pointed out, we have not seen Greg not driving a Mercedes, so we can't be sure.

But I think God would be lucky seeing Greg in his own Mercedes Benz. It would make running a heaven a little bit cheaper.

I_am_learning said:
The search engine of this forum is too poor or may be I don't know how to use it.
I tried to search for threads regarding "Induction Motor" in Electrical Engineering Forum, but it seems that it comes up with every threads that contains either of the words Induction or Motor. Moreover, the threads are sorted Chronologically than by Relevance.

oops: Sorry for the misspelled Frorum. Why can't I edit it?

This is easily solved as mentioned above

Here's how to do it in detail:
Use your favorite search engine (I like Yahoo).

Click "options"

Click "advanced search"

Add your search term to the "search box."

Go to the Site/Domain section and select "only search in this domain/site:"

Put "www.physicsforums.com" in the Site/Domain section box.

Click "search" and the results will cover this forum only.

Related to How can I improve my search results on Physics Forums?

1. What is a "Poor Forum Search Engine"?

A "Poor Forum Search Engine" refers to a search engine that is not efficient or effective at retrieving relevant information from online forums or discussion boards. This can be due to various reasons such as outdated algorithms, limited search capabilities, or spam-filled results.

2. Why is a good forum search engine important?

A good forum search engine is important because it allows users to quickly and easily find relevant information within a forum. This can save time and effort for users who are looking for specific answers or discussions on a particular topic. It also improves the overall user experience of the forum.

3. How can a poor forum search engine affect user engagement?

A poor forum search engine can negatively affect user engagement by making it difficult for users to find the information they are looking for. This can lead to frustration and a decrease in participation within the forum. Users may also become discouraged from using the forum if they consistently have trouble finding what they need.

4. What are some potential solutions for improving a poor forum search engine?

Some potential solutions for improving a poor forum search engine include updating the search algorithms, implementing advanced search features, and regularly moderating and removing spam content. Another solution could be integrating a third-party search engine that specializes in forum searches.

5. How can I determine if a forum has a good search engine before joining?

Before joining a forum, you can determine if it has a good search engine by reading reviews or asking other users about their experience with the search function. You can also test the search engine yourself by searching for specific keywords or topics to see if the results are relevant and easy to navigate.