How Can I Improve My Homemade Wind Turbine's Charging System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a wind turbine using an old treadmill motor and 5 PVC blades, but with non-functioning circuitry. The poster is seeking advice on the setup and circuit design, and has attached a photo of the schematic. They also mention using a charge controller and voltage booster, as well as 6 6-volt batteries. The conversation ends with a question about voltage and current measurements.
Alexb91
Hello! I recently built my own wind turbine. The motor is from an old treadmill, the blades are 5 pvc blades i made from scratch. So I built the whole thing, but the circuitry doesn't work so its just basically looking cool and doing nothing. My roommates are giving me crap about it, but they are dweebs. Anyways I really could use some advice/guidance on this setup I designed (I think its a design). I attached a photo of the schematic, go easy on me I am still learning about electronics.

Charge Controller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331426976171 which i got for 14 bucks at the time... unknown why!
Voltage booster: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ATU2X8/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Motor specs: I think are 95v @ 5-6k rpm - 22.5amps

Since the rpm's on the motor were super high I was only seeing between 4-10V sometimes 14V. So i had to change the circuit up a bit... Hence the bizarre schematic HERE
f4b199c2-cb37-4194-ac4b-8c6475844fab.jpg

Basically i was going for this http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/Parallelcharging.html

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
God, what a mishmash. You have a 22A generator feeding a 1A voltage booster feeding a 440A diverter. Then 6 X 6v batteries. Are those golf cart batteries?

1 amp is only enough to trickle charge those batteries.

You say it does nothing. What voltage and current measurements do you have?

Likes berkeman

Related to How Can I Improve My Homemade Wind Turbine's Charging System?

1. How does a wind turbine charge a battery?

A wind turbine charges a battery by converting the kinetic energy of the wind into electrical energy. The blades of the turbine spin when the wind blows, which turns a rotor connected to a generator. The generator then converts this mechanical energy into electrical energy, which can be stored in a battery.

2. What size wind turbine do I need to charge my battery?

The size of the wind turbine you need depends on various factors such as the size of your battery, the wind speed in your location, and the amount of energy you need to charge the battery. It is best to consult a professional to determine the appropriate size for your specific needs.

3. Can a wind turbine charge multiple batteries at once?

Yes, a wind turbine can charge multiple batteries at once, as long as they are connected in parallel to the turbine's output. However, the charging time may be longer as the turbine's energy output will be divided among the batteries.

4. Is it possible to charge a battery with a wind turbine on a cloudy day?

Yes, it is possible to charge a battery with a wind turbine on a cloudy day. While wind speed may be lower on cloudy days, a turbine can still produce electricity as long as there is wind. However, the charging time may be longer compared to a sunny day with higher wind speeds.

5. Can a wind turbine overcharge a battery?

Yes, a wind turbine can overcharge a battery if it is not equipped with a charge controller. A charge controller regulates the amount of energy going into the battery to prevent overcharging, which can damage the battery and reduce its lifespan. It is important to have a charge controller installed to protect your battery and ensure efficient charging.