How can I import a hysteresis material's loop into Ansoft Maxwell?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of importing a hysteresis material's loop into Maxwell's material library. One approach is to add a new material and define its parameters, while another is to select "anisotropic" and then define separate B-H curves for each axis. The version of Maxwell used may affect the availability of this feature. It is mentioned that only one quarter of the characteristic curve can be used, and it is suggested to use average values for the +H/+B curve. The limitations of using linear simulations for hysteresis materials are also mentioned.
pedro1988
hi my dear friends

i face with a problem in ansoft maxwell;

i want to import a hysteresis material's loop into maxwell's material s libraray

but i cant!:(

is there anyone who can help me?

with the best wishes:)

pedro

Engineering news on Phys.org
In material library click "add material". Now you can define parameters of your new material. Select "nonlinear" instead of "simple" for relative permeability and then left-click on newly appeared button "B-H curve". Add B-H points defining curve here.
Another approach (when you need to define B-H loops in all 3 directions x,y,z) is to select "anisotropic" instead of "nonlinear" in first step. Then you can select "nonlinear" for every axis (and three separate B-H curves).

One more thing. This feature has evolved in maxwell, so it may not be avaible in your version for some solvers or may be working a little differently (I am using v.16.0.0).

i use v16.0.0
AND i do what you say
but its not accept a b-h curve points and says "
http://s1.uploads.im/BUlWJ.jpg
http://s1.uploads.im/BUlWJ.jpg

THANKS A LOT

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. you want to input full B-H curve ? No chance. Use only one quarter of characteristic (+ H / + B) and average values (maxwell will accept only single B-H curve).

realy??!

no way to import full b-h curve?

so how a motor can be designed with hysteresis material...:(:(its too bad

thank you for cooperation

It can be done with average values (single curve for +H/+B). Thats how it's done in most cases.

Likes 1 person
Most magnetostatic simulators solve linear material models only. Yes, it sucks but you can do surprisingly well by using a linear simulation and simply watching out for fields that approach within 80% of the saturation field. The simulations for linear are radically faster than those that include hysteresis (which is both nonlinear AND time-dependent).

Likes 1 person

Related to How can I import a hysteresis material's loop into Ansoft Maxwell?

1. What is a hysteresis loop in Maxwell?

A hysteresis loop in Maxwell refers to the graphical representation of the relationship between the magnetic field strength and the magnetic flux density in a ferromagnetic material. It shows the lag or delay in the response of the material to changes in the applied magnetic field.

2. What causes hysteresis in Maxwell?

Hysteresis in Maxwell is caused by the presence of magnetic domains in ferromagnetic materials. These domains have a preferred orientation and it takes time for them to realign with changes in the applied magnetic field, resulting in the lag seen in the hysteresis loop.

3. How does hysteresis affect magnetic materials?

Hysteresis can affect magnetic materials in several ways. It can cause energy losses, resulting in heat generation, and can also impact the material's magnetic properties such as permeability and coercivity.

4. What is the significance of the hysteresis loop in Maxwell?

The hysteresis loop in Maxwell is significant because it provides valuable information about the magnetic properties of a material. It can be used to determine the material's magnetic characteristics, such as its magnetic saturation, remanence, and coercivity.

5. How can the hysteresis loop be used in practical applications?

The hysteresis loop has several practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, transformers, and other magnetic devices. It is also used in magnetic materials testing to analyze the magnetic properties of different materials and to ensure their quality and performance.