How Can I Implement Non-linear Boundary Conditions in a 1-D PDE System?

• Thread starter santhoo24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde System
In summary, Santosh is trying to solve a system of 1-D pde's using finite difference scheme. His boundary conditions are a non-linear function of the variables. Previously, he had a no-flux boundary conditions, but now his boundary conditions are a non-linear function of the variables. He has a a term similar to Ra as a source term. He solves the Laplacian part first and uses the solution to solve the source term by forward Euler technique. With the non-linear term in the BC, he is confused as to how he can implement the BC. He was wondering if someone can help him in this regard. Any suggestion s including a different technique are much appreciated.
santhoo24
Hi all,

I am Santosh, a grad student at FSU. I am trying to solve a system of 1-D pde's using finite difference scheme.
Here's a brief description of my boundary conditions:

Let my variables be S, T, V, & W, and k1, k2, k3, k4, k5, a, b, and c are constants. At x = 1,dA/dX = Ra,

where A = S, T, V, W, and Ra = k1/{k2 + (k3/T^a) + (k4/S^b) + (k5/V^c)}

Previously, I had a no-flux boundary conditions, which I could solve using the BTCS technique. Now, my boundary conditions are a non-linear function of the variables. I have a a term similar to Ra as a source term. I solve the Laplacian part first and use the solution to solve the source term by forward Euler technique.

But with the non-linear term in the BC, I am confused as to how I can implement the BC. I was wondering if someone can help me in this regard. Any suggestion s including a different technique are much appreciated.

Thanks.
Warm regards,
DSK.

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to post your problem statement (i.e. the PDE you are solving) and the boundary condition more clearly

The following is the description of the problem. I am trying to solve the system of pde's in 1-D. My system of equations consist of four variables as I mentioned in my previous post, namely, S, T, V, and W. The following are the system of equations:
dA/dt = d^2/dX^2 + RA
Where, d is the partial, A is one of S, T, V, and W, and
RA= k1/{k2 + (k3/T^a) + (k4/S^b) + (k5/V^c)},
k1, k2, k3, k4, k5, a, b, and c are constants.

The initial conditions are A(X,0) = constant
BC: At X = 0, DA*dA/dX = 0 for A = S, T, V, and W

At X = 1, DS*dS/dX = C*RA, where C is a constant
DT*dT/dX = -C*RA
DV*dV/dX = -C*RA
DW*dW/dX = N*(W0 - W) - C*RA, where N and W0 are constants.

I am trying to solve for steady state solution. Previously, I had no flux at both the boundaries. I used to solve the system of equations using time-split method, solving the Laplacian part by BTCS finite difference scheme and then using this intermediate solution to solve the source term part by forward Euler method. This approach worked perfectly.
The way I implemented the BC was to solve for v(M) as a function of v(M-1) and then substituting for v(M) in v(M-1). But now, I can not use this approach as I am unable to solve for v(M) as a function of v(M-1). Here v is the discrete form of the variables and not one of the variables, V.

I am looking forward to any suggestions that can assist me in solving the problem. Thank you for your time for helping me out.

Warm regards,
Santosh.

Hello all,

I was expecting a suggestion from anyone that would help me solve my problem.

Regards,
DSK.

Related to How Can I Implement Non-linear Boundary Conditions in a 1-D PDE System?

1. What is a system of PDE?

A system of PDE (Partial Differential Equations) is a set of equations that involve partial derivatives with respect to more than one independent variable. These equations are commonly used in mathematical models to describe physical systems such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetism.

2. Why is help needed for a system of PDE?

Solving a system of PDE can be a complex and time-consuming task, even for experienced scientists. It requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as specialized software and computational resources. Therefore, seeking help from experts can greatly improve the accuracy and efficiency of solving a system of PDE.

3. How can I find help for my system of PDE?

There are various ways to find help for your system of PDE. You can consult with a professor or a tutor who specializes in PDE, join online forums or groups dedicated to PDE, or hire a professional mathematician or engineer with experience in solving PDE systems.

4. What are some common challenges when solving a system of PDE?

Some common challenges when solving a system of PDE include choosing appropriate boundary conditions, selecting an appropriate numerical method, and dealing with complex equations that may not have analytical solutions. It is also important to check for consistency and accuracy of the results obtained.

5. Can a system of PDE be solved analytically?

In most cases, a system of PDE cannot be solved analytically. This means that there is no closed-form solution that can be obtained using traditional mathematical methods. Instead, numerical methods and computer simulations are often used to approximate the solution to a system of PDE. However, there are some special cases where analytical solutions can be found.