How Can I Graph Hubble Term vs. Inflaton Using Mathematica?

In summary, you can solve the differential equation so that you know ##\phi(t)##. For that, you'll need more than just this equation, as you have an unknown function of time on both sides of the equation. You'd need to make use of a second equation, possibly the second Friedmann equation, to resolve the discrepancy.
shinobi20
From cosmology,

##H^2 = \frac{ρ}{3M_p^2} = \frac{1}{3M_p^2}(½\dot φ^2 + ½m^2φ^2)##

Suppose ##V(φ) = ½m^2φ^2##

where
##ρ## = density
##M_p## = Planck mass

I want to graph ##H## vs. ##φ## but there is a ##\dot φ## and I know this is a differential equation, can somebody help me what to do here?

Space news on Phys.org
shinobi20 said:
From cosmology,

##H^2 = \frac{ρ}{3M_p^2} = \frac{1}{3M_p^2}(½\dot φ^2 + ½m^2φ^2)##

Suppose ##V(φ) = ½m^2φ^2##

where
##ρ## = density
##M_p## = Planck mass

I want to graph ##H## vs. ##φ## but there is a ##\dot φ## and I know this is a differential equation, can somebody help me what to do here?
The only way is to solve the differential equation so that you know ##\phi(t)##. For that, you'll need more than just this equation, as you have an unknown function of time on both sides of the equation. You'd need to make use of a second equation, possibly the second Friedmann equation, to resolve the discrepancy.

Chalnoth said:
The only way is to solve the differential equation so that you know ##\phi(t)##. For that, you'll need more than just this equation, as you have an unknown function of time on both sides of the equation. You'd need to make use of a second equation, possibly the second Friedmann equation, to resolve the discrepancy.

I was hoping to get rid of ##\dot φ## but it seems I can't find any relationship for that. If I'm to use the second Friedmann equation,
##\frac{\ddot a}{a} = -\frac{1}{6M_p^2}(ρ+3p)~~~~~~~~~ ^*~H = \frac{\dot a}{a}~~→~~\dot H = \frac{\ddot a}{a} - (\frac{\dot a}{a})^2~~→~~\dot H = \frac{\ddot a}{a} - H^2##

##\dot H + H = -\frac{1}{6M_p^2}(ρ+3p)##

The problem is the form of ##ρ## and ##p##. For warm inflation, should I consider ##ρ = ρ_λ + ρ_r## and ##p = p_λ + p_r##? Given that ##p_λ = -ρ_λ## and ##p_r = \frac{1}{3}ρ_r##

You cannot get rid of the time derivative in favour of other quantities. That would remove the dynamics of the field itself.

In some cases, like slow-roll inflation, you can neglect the kinetic term in the energy, but it is still there.

Orodruin said:
You cannot get rid of the time derivative in favour of other quantities. That would remove the dynamics of the field itself.

In some cases, like slow-roll inflation, you can neglect the kinetic term in the energy, but it is still there.
Yes, that's why I'd like to solve the DE exactly but there is an ##H^2## in front which is also a variable.

Chalnoth said:
If I define ##t_H = H^{-1}## (Hubble time) then it would be just an ODE so I could use the typical numerical calculation in Mathematica?

Last edited:
Have you considered the Klein-Gordon equation?
$$ \ddot{\phi}+3H\dot{\phi}+\dfrac{dV}{d\phi}=0$$

MinasKar said:
Have you considered the Klein-Gordon equation?
$$ \ddot{\phi}+3H\dot{\phi}+\dfrac{dV}{d\phi}=0$$
That would be the case in typical inflationary scenario but in warm inflation KG equation would be modified to

##\ddot{\phi}+(3H + Γ)\dot{\phi}+\dfrac{dV}{d\phi}=0##

There is an extra dissipation term ##Γ##, which I would also need later, so that is also a problem.
Basically, I want to find the relationship of the tensor to scalar ratio ##r## with the ##Γ## dissipation term by the theoretical result ##r = 16ε## where ##ε## is the Hubble slow roll parameter, but from the equations I can see, ##H##, ##φ##, and ##\dot φ## are in the way since ##ε = -\frac{\dot H}{H^2}## so I think I can numerically calculate ##H## in terms of ##φ## in order to get different values of H to again numerically calculate ##r## in terms of ##H##.

Last edited:
I can only think of two equations that I can use to get the behavior of ##H## in terms of ##\phi## for various dissipation term ##\Gamma##,

$$\ddot{\phi}+3H\dot{\phi}+\dfrac{dV}{d\phi}=0 ,\quad H^2 = \frac{1}{6M_p^2}(\dot φ^2 + m^2φ^2)$$

Can anyone help me figure out how can I use mathematica to solve ##H## for different ##\Gamma##? I only have basic knowledge of mathematica.

Related to How Can I Graph Hubble Term vs. Inflaton Using Mathematica?

1. What is the Hubble term in relation to inflation?

The Hubble term, also known as the Hubble parameter, is a measure of the expansion rate of the universe. In the context of inflation, it represents the rate at which the universe is expanding during the inflationary period.

2. How does the Hubble term affect the inflationary period?

The Hubble term plays a crucial role in the inflationary period. It determines the speed at which the universe expands, which in turn affects the duration and magnitude of inflation. A larger Hubble term results in a shorter and more intense inflationary period.

3. How does the Hubble term compare to the inflaton field?

The Hubble term and inflaton field are both important components in the theory of inflation. The Hubble term describes the expansion of the universe, while the inflaton field is a hypothetical scalar field that is responsible for driving inflation. The two are related as the Hubble term affects the dynamics of the inflaton field.

4. What is the role of the Hubble term in the theory of cosmic inflation?

The Hubble term is a fundamental component in the theory of cosmic inflation. It is essential for understanding the expansion of the universe during inflation and helps to explain the observed homogeneity and isotropy of the universe. The Hubble term also plays a role in the production of primordial density fluctuations, which are responsible for the formation of large-scale structures in the universe.

5. How is the Hubble term measured and studied in cosmology?

The Hubble term can be measured through various cosmological observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation, the redshift of distant galaxies, and the luminosity distance of supernovae. It is also studied through theoretical models and simulations, which help to understand its role in the evolution of the universe.