How can I get only one single photon with a coherent light source?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a lab experiment with a coherent light source and the challenges of getting only one single photon at a time. They consider using inhomogeneous crystals and increasing optical attenuation to achieve a low enough flux. The concept of using a faint laser to produce a well-defined probability ratio for the emission of one versus two or more photons is also mentioned. There is confusion about how reducing the number of photons can impact the probability of emission.
alizeid
Hi!

We will make a lab analogous to the stern gerlach experiments but with polarized light. How can we get only one single photon in experiment with a coherent light source? I'm going to make a lab where we need to get in only one single photo at a time. I have read that you can use some inhomogeneous crystals to get a very small fraction of the photos. But how do you really do ?? What confuses me is that a laser has, for example, 10mW, only here, we have basically 10 ^ 15 photons (in order of magnitude) per second. How do you stop all photos and get through a single photo?

I'm grateful for answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
alizeid said:
Hi!

We will make a lab analogous to the stern gerlach experiments but with polarized light. How can we get only one single photon in experiment with a coherent light source? I'm going to make a lab where we need to get in only one single photo at a time. I have read that you can use some inhomogeneous crystals to get a very small fraction of the photos. But how do you really do ?? What confuses me is that a laser has, for example, 10mW, only here, we have basically 10 ^ 15 photons (in order of magnitude) per second. How do you stop all photos and get through a single photo?

I'm grateful for answers.
How are you planning on detecting the photons? With a PMT?

It seems like you just need to increase the optical attenuation to the point where you get the extremely low flux that you want. How many photons per second is low enough for your experiment? Something like 10-100 as long as they are singles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-photon_source#Faint_laser
Faint laser
One of the first and easiest sources was created by attenuating a conventional laser beam to reduce its intensity and thereby the mean photon number per pulse[18]. Since the photon statistics follow a Poisson distribution you can achieve sources with a well defined probability ratio for the emission of one versus two or more photons. For example a mean value of μ = 0.1 leads to a probability of 90% for zero photons, 9% for one photon and 1% for more than one photon[19].

Although such a source can be used for certain applications, it has a second-order intensity correlation function equal to one (no antibunching). For many applications however, antibunching is required, for instance in quantum cryptography.

berkeman said:

"Since the photon statistics follow a Poisson distribution you can achieve sources with a well defined probability ratio for the emission of one versus two or more photons"

I do not really understand how the connection between reducing intensity and Poisson distribution. If we have 10 ^ 15 photons, we can, for example, reduce the number of photons through a medium. I decrease the number of photons coming through the medium. What does this have with the probability of emission ?? The number of photons from a blue rays of 10 mW is about 10 ^ 15 photons. These are photons that have already been emitted, so how can I influence the number of emissions when they have already been emitted from the laser?

Related to How can I get only one single photon with a coherent light source?

1. How can I create a coherent light source?

To create a coherent light source, you will need a laser. Lasers produce light that is monochromatic (one color), collimated (travels in a straight line), and coherent (all waves are in phase with each other). This can be achieved through the use of a laser diode or a gas laser.

2. Can I use any type of light source to generate a single photon?

No, a coherent light source is necessary to generate a single photon. This is because a coherent light source produces light that is in a single quantum state, which is required for the production of a single photon.

3. How do I ensure that only one single photon is produced?

To ensure that only one single photon is produced, you will need to use a technique called "photon number resolution." This involves using photon detectors that are sensitive enough to detect individual photons and then filtering out any additional photons that may be present in the light source.

4. Can I control the direction of the single photon produced?

Yes, the direction of the single photon can be controlled by using a combination of mirrors, lenses, and other optical components to manipulate the path of the light. This is known as optical manipulation and is commonly used in experiments involving single photons.

5. What are the potential applications of generating single photons?

Generating single photons has a wide range of potential applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. Single photons are also used in various research fields, such as quantum optics, quantum information science, and quantum metrology.