How Can I Form a Differential Equation for a Sphere's Flow Rate?

In summary, The equations provided refer to a sphere with a fluid flow out of the bottom and a volume formula in terms of the radius and height of the sphere. The goal is to find a differential equation in terms of the height, using Heun's method to determine the time it takes to drain the liquid from the sphere. The cross-sectional area multiplied by the height is a useful formula for this problem, but further manipulation will be needed in order to use Heun's method effectively.
vigintitres

Homework Statement

I just need to get these eqn's together to form a DE

Homework Equations

Q = CA*sqrt(2gH) = -dV/dt

and

V = pi/3 * H^2 * (3*r - H)

These eqn's refer to a sphere which has a flow Q of fluid out the bottom of said sphere. The radius of the sphere is r, the height H is from the bottom of the sphere (where the hole is) to the top of the liquid. Also, C is a constant and A is just the area pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to get a differential eqn in terms of H but I've exhausted, from what I can see, any algebraic manipulation. The final story to be told will use Heun's method to determine how long it takes to drain the liquid out of the sphere (I fully understand the method, it is just this preliminary step which I am confused about)

Physics news on Phys.org
The cross-sectional area multiplied by the height from the hole at the bottom to the water level at the top is the volume of water contained within the sphere at any given time, is it not?

[tex]A_{cross}=\frac{V(H)}{H(t)}[/tex] - (assuming of course V is a function of H, & H is a function of t.)

see if that helps you at all

Last edited:
yes, that looks great. I didn't even consider this and as such, it is a reminder to KIS! thanks

ah, but actually in order to use Heun's method, I'll need to evaluate a "preliminary" V which means I'll really need to use a preliminary H in the equation involving V(H) (i.e. solving a cubic polynomial, which does not fly because I have to code this problem into MATLAB shortly...), so I guess I'm stuck again

Related to How Can I Form a Differential Equation for a Sphere's Flow Rate?

1. What is flow rate and why is it important in science?

Flow rate is the measure of how much fluid or gas is passing through a given point per unit of time. It is important in science because it helps us understand and quantify the movement of fluids and gases, which are essential in many natural and man-made processes.

2. How is flow rate calculated?

Flow rate is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid or gas that passes through a point by the time it takes for that volume to pass. The standard unit for flow rate is cubic meters per second (m3/s), but other units such as gallons per minute (gpm) or liters per hour (L/h) may also be used.

3. What factors affect flow rate?

The flow rate of a fluid or gas can be affected by several factors, including the size of the opening or pipe through which it is flowing, the pressure and temperature of the fluid or gas, and the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid. Other factors such as obstructions, turbulence, and changes in direction can also impact flow rate.

4. How does flow rate relate to differential equations?

Flow rate is often described and analyzed using mathematical models called differential equations. These equations describe how the flow rate changes over time, taking into account various factors such as pressure, velocity, and viscosity. By solving these equations, scientists and engineers can predict and control the flow rate of fluids and gases in different systems.

5. How is flow rate used in real-world applications?

Flow rate has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to design and optimize systems like pipelines, pumps, and ventilation systems. In medicine, flow rate is used to monitor blood flow in the body and deliver medications through intravenous (IV) drips. It is also essential in environmental studies, where it is used to measure and monitor the movement of pollutants in air and water.