How can I find the S_{x} operator using spin base transformation?

In summary, There is a struggle in finding the problem with the X matrix and making it fit with the given base. To transform the operator to a different basis, an "S matrix" is needed, which can be determined from the eigenvalues and eigenvectors and then rotated to the z basis.
Dreak
There is something I'm struggling with and I can't seem to find the problem.

We have the Z spinbase with:
z = (1/sqrt(2))² <BRA|*(|s_z,+> + |s_z,->)
which gives following z matrix:

1 0
0 1

and we have for X:

|s_x, +> = 1/sqrt(2) |s_z,+> + |s_z,->)
|s_x, -> = 1/sqrt(2) |s_z,+> - |s_z,->)

Now I have a problem with making the x matrix.
this one is equal to

0 1
1 0

but this doesn't fit with the base above?
for example the first component:
<s_x,+|s_x,+> = 1/2 {<s_z,+|s_z,+> + <s_z,+|s_z,-> + <s_z,-|s_z,+> + <s_z,-|s_z,-> }

<s_z,+|s_z,+> = <s_z,-|s_z,-> = 1
<s_z,+|s_z,-> = <s_z,-|s_z,+> = 0 because of orthogonality,

so we get that <s_x,+|s_x,+> = 1 instead of 0?

What do I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that simple...

To transform the operator to a different basis, you need to use an "S matrix." I'll represent it by [itex]\mathbb{S}[/itex] so it's less confusing because the spin operator normally use S.

[itex]S_{z} \stackrel{→}{_{x}} \mathbb{S}^{\dagger}S_z\mathbb{S}[/itex]

where [itex]\mathbb{S} → \bigl(\begin{smallmatrix} \langle +z\:|+x \rangle&\langle +z\:|-x \rangle\\ \langle -z\:|+x \rangle&\langle -z\:|-x \rangle \end{smallmatrix} \bigr)[/itex]

But this won't get you the [itex]S_{x}[/itex] operator... To do this you need to determine the operator from its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, then rotate it to the z basis.

Last edited:

Related to How can I find the S_{x} operator using spin base transformation?

1. What is spin base transformation?

Spin base transformation is a mathematical operation that rotates or transforms a vector or matrix in a quantum mechanical system. It is used to describe the spin state of particles, such as electrons, in terms of different reference frames.

2. Why is spin base transformation important?

Spin base transformation is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles with spin in different reference frames. It is also a key tool in quantum mechanics, allowing us to accurately describe and predict the properties of quantum systems.

3. How is spin base transformation performed?

Spin base transformation is performed using mathematical equations and matrices, typically involving complex numbers. The transformation is done by applying a unitary matrix to the original spin state, resulting in a new spin state in a different reference frame.

4. What is the relationship between spin base transformation and spin states?

Spin base transformation is a mathematical operation that describes how spin states change in different reference frames. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle with a certain spin state in a particular reference frame.

5. Can spin base transformation be observed in experiments?

No, spin base transformation itself cannot be observed in experiments. However, its effects can be observed and measured, such as changes in the polarization of light or the spin of electrons, which can provide evidence for the validity of the transformation.