Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

How can I find the limit??

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Hi!!! :)
I have to find the Laplace transform of the function $tcos(wt) , w>0 $ .
That's what I have done so far:
$I=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-st}tcos(wt)dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{-e^{-st}}{s})'tcos(wt)dt=\left [(\frac{-e^{-st}}{s})tcos(wt) \right ]_{0}^{\infty}-\int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}(cos(wt)-sin(wt))dt $

How can I find the limit,when $t\to \infty$ ?

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Hi!!! :)
I have to find the Laplace transform of the function $tcos(wt) , w>0 $ .
That's what I have done so far:
$I=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-st}tcos(wt)dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{-e^{-st}}{s})'tcos(wt)dt=\left [(\frac{-e^{-st}}{s})tcos(wt) \right ]_{0}^{\infty}-\int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}(cos(wt)-sin(wt))dt $

How can I find the limit,when $t\to \infty$ ?
Hmm, let's see... according to the rule for partial integration, we have:
$$\int udv = uv - \int vdu$$
So we get:
\begin{aligned}
I &= \int_0^\infty t\cos(\omega t)\ d\left(\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}\right) \\
&= \left[ t\cos\omega t \cdot \frac{-e^{-st}}{s} \right]_0^\infty - \int \frac{-e^{-st}}{s} d(t\cos(\omega t)) \\
&= \left[ t\cos(\omega t) \cdot \frac{-e^{-st}}{s} \right]_0^\infty - \int_0^\infty \frac{-e^{-st}}{s} (\cos(\omega t) - \omega t \sin(\omega t)) dt
\end{aligned}
When $t \to \infty$ we get:
$$\infty \cdot \cos(\omega \cdot \infty) \cdot \frac{-e^{-s \cdot \infty}}{s}$$
If $\mathfrak{Re}(s) > 0$, the exponential power will approach 0 faster than any of the rest of the expression diverges. So this part of the result is 0.

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Hmm, let's see... according to the rule for partial integration, we have:
$$\int udv = uv - \int vdu$$
So we get:
\begin{aligned}
I &= \int_0^\infty t\cos(\omega t)\ d\left(\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}\right) \\
&= \left[ t\cos\omega t \cdot \frac{-e^{-st}}{s} \right]_0^\infty - \int \frac{-e^{-st}}{s} d(t\cos(\omega t)) \\
&= \left[ t\cos(\omega t) \cdot \frac{-e^{-st}}{s} \right]_0^\infty - \int_0^\infty \frac{-e^{-st}}{s} (\cos(\omega t) - \omega t \sin(\omega t)) dt
\end{aligned}
When $t \to \infty$ we get:
$$\infty \cdot \cos(\omega \cdot \infty) \cdot \frac{-e^{-s \cdot \infty}}{s}$$
If $\mathfrak{Re}(s) > 0$, the exponential power will approach 0 faster than any of the rest of the expression. So this part of the result is 0.
But how can I prove it?Using the L'Hospital Rule? :confused:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
But how can I prove it?Using the L'Hospital Rule? :confused:
Yes.
But first consider that:
$$\frac{-t}{se^{st}} \le t\cos(\omega t) \frac{e^{-st}}{s} \le \frac{+t}{se^{st}}$$
Then apply l'Hospital's rule to both the LHS and the RHS.
Apply the squeeze rule after that.

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
If you want to be cute, notice that

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} t \cos (\omega t) e^{-st} \ dt = \text{Re} \int_{0}^{\infty} t e^{i \omega t}e^{-st} \ dt = \text{Re} \int_{0}^{\infty} t e^{-t(s-iw)} \ dt$$

$$ = \text{Re} \Bigg( - \frac{t}{s-iw} e^{-t(s-i \omega)} \Big|^{t=\infty}_{t=0} + \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{s-i \omega} e^{-t(s-i \omega)} \ dt \Bigg) = \text{Re} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{s-i \omega} e^{-t(s-i \omega)} \ dt $$

$$ = \text{Re} \frac{1}{(s-i \omega)^{2}} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-u} \ du = \text{Re} \ \frac{1}{(s-i \omega)^{2}}$$

$$ = \text{Re} \ \frac{1}{(s-i \omega)^{2}} \frac{(s+i \omega)^{2}}{(s+ i \omega)^{2}} = \text{Re} \ \frac{s^{2} - w^{2} + 2 i \omega s}{(s^{2}+ \omega^{2})^{2}} = \frac{s^{2}-\omega^{2}}{(s^{2}+\omega^{2})^{2}}$$

And now we also know that

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} t \sin( \omega t) e^{-st} \ dt = \text{Im} \ \frac{s^{2} - w^{2} + 2 i \omega s}{(s^{2}+ \omega^{2})^{2}} = \frac{2 \omega s}{(s^{2}+\omega^{2})^{2}} $$

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Yes.
But first consider that:
$$\frac{-t}{se^{st}} \le t\cos(\omega t) \frac{e^{-st}}{s} \le \frac{+t}{se^{st}}$$
Then apply l'Hospital's rule to both the LHS and the RHS.
Apply the squeeze rule after that.
Nice!!!Thank you very much!!! :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} t \cos (\omega t) e^{-st} \ dt = \text{Re} \int_{0}^{\infty} t e^{i \omega t}e^{-st} \ dt = \text{Re} \int_{0}^{\infty} t e^{-t(s-iw)} \ dt$$

$$ = \text{Re} \Bigg( - \frac{t}{s-iw} e^{-t(s-i \omega)} \Big|^{t=\infty}_{t=0} + \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{s-i \omega} e^{-t(s-i \omega)} \ dt \Bigg) = \text{Re} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{s-i \omega} e^{-t(s-i \omega)} \ dt $$

$$ = \text{Re} \frac{1}{(s-i \omega)^{2}} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-u} \ du = \text{Re} \ \frac{1}{(s-i \omega)^{2}}$$

$$ = \text{Re} \ \frac{1}{(s-i \omega)^{2}} \frac{(s+i \omega)^{2}}{(s+ i \omega)^{2}} = \text{Re} \ \frac{s^{2} - w^{2} + 2 i \omega s}{(s^{2}+ \omega^{2})^{2}} = \frac{s^{2}-\omega^{2}}{(s^{2}+\omega^{2})^{2}}$$

And now we also know that

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} t \sin( \omega t) e^{-st} \ dt = \text{Im} \ \frac{s^{2} - w^{2} + 2 i \omega s}{(s^{2}+ \omega^{2})^{2}} = \frac{2 \omega s}{(s^{2}+\omega^{2})^{2}} $$
Great!!!I found the same result..!! Thanks for your answer!!! :D

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Let

\(\displaystyle F(\omega) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \sin(\omega t) e^{-st} \ dt=\frac{\omega}{s^2+\omega^2}\)

\(\displaystyle F'(\omega) = \int_{0}^{\infty} t \cos(\omega t) e^{-st} \ dt=\frac{s^2-\omega^2}{(s^2+\omega^2)^2}\)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} t \cos (\omega t) e^{-st} \ dt = \text{Re} \int_{0}^{\infty} t e^{i \omega t}e^{-st} \ dt$$
Can you support that your result also holds for complex $s$?

evinda

MHB Site Helper
Apr 13, 2013
Can you support that your result also holds for complex $s$?
Is it necessary to do it with $\text{Re and Im}$ ? :eek: I haven't done it like that!!

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Is it necessary to do it with $\text{Re and Im}$ ? :eek: I haven't done it like that!!
No, that is not necessary. It is just a cute way to it. :)
And as yet, I am questioning its validity, since it doesn't take complex values of $s$ into account.

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
I'm going to take the easy way out of this.

The functions $\int_{0}^{\infty} t \cos (\omega t) e^{-st}$ and $ \frac{s^{2}-\omega^{2}}{(s^{2}+\omega^{2})^{2}}$ agree for $s>0$.

The function $\frac{s^{2}-\omega^{2}}{(s^{2}+\omega^{2})^{2}}$ is analytic for $\text{Re}(s) > 0$.

And by Morera's theorem (in combination with Fubini's theorem) $\int_{0}^{\infty} t \cos (\omega t) e^{-st} \ dt$ is analytic for $\text{Re}(s) > 0$ as well.

So by analytic continuation, they must agree for $\text{Re} (s) > 0 $.

Last edited: