How can I find the focal length of a lens silvered at one face?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the individual powers of a convex lens and a concave mirror can be added to find the effective power of a silvered lens. This is because the lens formula 1/v - 1/u cancels out when the powers are added. It is important to consider proper sign conventions and conditions when using this method.
jd12345

Homework Statement

Its not a specific question but a general one to solve similar questions. I need to find focal length of a lens silvered at one face

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know a convex lens silvered at one face will behave as an effective concave lens. But i need to find the equations. I can do it by individually solving each case but need a faster one.
My book says that the effective power, P = P(L) + P(M) +P(L)...P(L) is power of lens P(M) is power of mirror. I don't know why this works?

For two lenses kept close i understand why P = P1 + P2 but don't how this works in lens-mirror case too.
Any Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually it does. Just do it logically. I think that powers add because of formula being 1/v -1/u , so when you add p2 the image of 1 is oblect for 2 so basically it cancels out .p1 +p2 is just using the lens formula ignorantly . Ensure that proper sing and conditions are followed.Hope that helps

Related to How can I find the focal length of a lens silvered at one face?

1. What is a lens silvered at one face?

A lens silvered at one face is a type of lens that has a reflective coating, typically made of silver, on only one side of the lens. This creates a mirror-like surface on one side of the lens, while the other side remains transparent.

2. How does a lens silvered at one face work?

A lens silvered at one face works by reflecting light off of the silvered side, while allowing light to pass through the other side. This creates a magnified image of the object being viewed, similar to a regular mirror.

3. What are the applications of a lens silvered at one face?

A lens silvered at one face has many applications, including use in telescopes, microscopes, and other optical instruments. It can also be used in photography and in laser technology.

4. What are the advantages of a lens silvered at one face?

The main advantage of a lens silvered at one face is that it allows for both magnification and reflection, making it a versatile tool for various scientific and technological purposes. It is also more cost-effective and easier to manufacture compared to fully silvered lenses.

5. Can a lens silvered at one face be used in everyday life?

While a lens silvered at one face may not have as many everyday applications as regular lenses, it can still be used for practical purposes such as in magnifying glasses or rearview mirrors. It is also commonly used in stage productions and magic tricks.