How can I find the first derivative for the given data?

• Thread starter rovaniemi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Formula or rule what you say in calculus; i got those by goggling. But i am not able to understand its application in biology. Anyway i tried the approximated derivate.I think you are mixing completely unrelated things here.
rovaniemi
Hi,

The data in the excel sheet is the numerical representation of the image of leafs taken through spectral imaging camera. The first column represents the wavelength range and other three are the chlorophyll measurements of leaves form 3 different locations. I would like to find out is, if there is any difference in chlorophyll level in these 3 different places. Could anyone please tell me how can i find the first derivative for the given data?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    9.9 KB · Views: 213
Physics news on Phys.org
First derivative of what?

I plotted the values and then the deviations from the average for each wavelength. I think the result is interesting:

attachment.php?attachmentid=60950&stc=1&d=1376683367.png

Attachments

• green.png
    green.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 518
mfb said:
First derivative of what?

I plotted the values and then the deviations from the average for each wavelength. I think the result is interesting:

attachment.php?attachmentid=60950&stc=1&d=1376683367.png

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Could you please tell me, how did you calculate the first derivative? I would like to find the first derivative of columns North, North East and South. Can the first derivative be obtained by subtracting two consecutive function values, then dividing them by the difference in the independent variables (Wavelengths in this case)?

I have also found a formula to find the first derivative. I don't know if it can be used in this situation.
The formula is "x^n for first derivative and n x^n-1 for second derivative.

Good day

Last edited:
I did not calculate any derivatives, and I don't think there are any meaningful derivatives.
Can the first derivative be obtained by subtracting two consecutive function values, then dividing them by the difference in the independent variables (Wavelengths in this case)?
They can be approximated like that, but I don't see what you would learn from the resulting values.
The formula is "x^n for first derivative and n x^n-1 for second derivative.
That is not a formula.

mfb said:
I did not calculate any derivatives, and I don't think there are any meaningful derivatives.
They can be approximated like that, but I don't see what you would learn from the resulting values.
That is not a formula.

Hi,

I am not good at calculus. I just need to find the rate of change in the chlorophyll content at different regions. The attachment shows the approximated first derivative graph and if i am not wrong that doesn't show any significant change.

Formula or rule what you say in calculus; i got those by goggling. But i am not able to understand its application in biology. Anyway i tried the approximated derivate.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 391
I think you are mixing completely unrelated things here.

You have three samples. Each sample has some specific chlorophyll content, right? So you just have 3 (not yet known unknown) values for chlorophyll contents.

Each chemical composition (including the chlorophyll content) leads to a specific spectrum. You can analyze this spectrum to get the chlorophyll content of a sample, for one sample at a time. This will need some external data - how does the spectrum of chlorophyll look like?
Once you know this (and, ideally, the spectra of other chemicals in your sample), you can look for this signature in your samples, and find some (relative) value for the chlorophyll content in your samples.

It is pointless to calculate derivatives in the spectrum - each data point has a completely different meaning (the absorption or emission at a specific wavelength range).

Related to How can I find the first derivative for the given data?

1. What is a first derivative?

A first derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of a tangent line drawn at that point on the function's graph.

2. How is a first derivative calculated?

A first derivative can be calculated using the derivative formula, which is the limit of the change in the function's output divided by the change in its input as the change approaches zero. Alternatively, there are rules and techniques such as the power rule, product and quotient rules, and chain rule that can be used to find a first derivative.

3. What is the importance of the first derivative?

The first derivative is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function. It can tell us the direction and rate of change of the function, as well as identify maximum and minimum points, inflection points, and other critical points.

4. What are some real-world applications of the first derivative?

The first derivative has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects, optimize processes, determine the demand and supply of goods, and make predictions based on data.

5. Can a function have more than one first derivative?

No, a function can only have one first derivative at any given point. However, a function can have different first derivatives at different points, which can help us understand its behavior and make predictions about its values.