How can I find out what kind of core material this is?

In summary, the person is looking for a core material for a project and they are not sure what it is. The core material is probably ferrite but it may be some other type of metal with a permeability in the 700-1000 range.
HMS-776
I am working on a project and I need to find out what kind of core material this is...

Unfortuantely I cannot ask the person who had it because they no longer have it.
I don't think it's ferrite, the thickness is about .125", and the permeability is around 700-1000.
It had several coils on it and operated below 20kHz.

Anyone?
CoreMaterial.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like silicon steel. Typical transformer lamination.

Ok, is there any kind of silicon steel with permeability in the range of 700-1000?

I think it's all one piece which is .125" thick though...Isin't silicon steel only available in thin laminations?

Yes that's too thick. Have it analyzed. For a few hundred dollars you can find out what's in it and guess the alloy.

It's probably ferrite. It's deninitely not silicon steel. Could be some sort of powdered metal.
Why don't you get ferrite and see if it works.
Ferrite is very brittle, see if it breaks when struck with a hammer.

No it's not ferrite, the permeability is too low I believe for it to be ferrite.

If it's not ferrite or silicon steel what else could it be?

You may want to Google "powdered metal cores"
Some powdered metal cores are Permalloy, Molypermalloy, Kool Mu, Powdered Iron...
Just out of curiosity, why are you so sure the permeability is 700-1000?
Ferrite with a gap could have this permeability.

The core was actutally made from two of these cores back to back to form a square core.

The cores were held tightly together on a jig to prevent a gap. The coils and core were designed to achieve a high coupling coefficient and mutual inductance.

Carl Pugh said:
Some powdered metal cores are Permalloy, Molypermalloy, Kool Mu, Powdered Iron...

Any metal can be ground up into powder, no? Permalloy and molypermalloy are quite common (although very expensive) in laminations. Kool Mu is defiinitely a powdered only material though.

if they wanted precise inductance they controlled the air gap.

700 sounds low. i'll bet that includes their airgap which may be in thousandths.

look up permeability curves, they depend on flux level temperature frequency etc.
if you want precise inductance you include a gap to reduce those effects.

Related to How can I find out what kind of core material this is?

1. What is a core material?

A core material is a substance or material that is found at the center or innermost part of an object. In scientific terms, it is the central part of an object that provides its strength and stability.

2. How can I determine the type of core material in an object?

The type of core material can be determined through various methods such as visual inspection, chemical analysis, and physical testing. Visual inspection involves examining the object's physical properties, while chemical analysis involves using specialized equipment to identify the composition of the material. Physical testing involves subjecting the material to different conditions to determine its properties.

3. Why is it important to know the type of core material in an object?

Knowing the type of core material in an object is important because it can provide valuable information about the object's strength, durability, and potential uses. It can also help in identifying any potential hazards or risks associated with the material.

4. Can I use a portable device to identify the type of core material?

Yes, there are portable devices such as X-ray fluorescence (XRF) analyzers and handheld spectroscopy tools that can quickly identify the type of core material in an object. These devices use non-destructive techniques, making them safe and efficient for on-site analysis.

5. Can the type of core material change over time?

Yes, the type of core material in an object can change over time due to various factors such as environmental conditions, chemical reactions, and physical stress. It is important to regularly monitor and assess the core material to ensure its integrity and safety.