How can I find angles that satisfy 3sin(2x) = sin(x)?

In summary, the common factor among sin (0), sin (180), and sin (360) is that they all equal to 0 and can therefore be solutions to the equation 3sin(2x) = sin (x).
Peter G.
Hi,

3sin(2x) = sin (x)

I managed to find two answers: 80.4 Degrees and 279.6 degrees but I don't know hot to get 0, 180 and 360 as answers, can anyone help me?

This is how I found the two other angles:

6 sin (x) * cos (x) = sin (x)
cos (x) = sin (x) / 6 sin (x)
cos (x) = 1/6

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about what sin (0), sin (180) and sin (360) have in common?

All of them are equal to 0.

So, could any of those angles satisfy the original equation?

Peter G. said:
Hi,

3sin(2x) = sin (x)

I managed to find two answers: 80.4 Degrees and 279.6 degrees but I don't know hot to get 0, 180 and 360 as answers, can anyone help me?

This is how I found the two other angles:

cos (x) = sin (x) / 6 sin (x)

You shouldn't have divided both sides by sin(x). You lose potential solutions that way. Instead, subtract sin(x) from both sides and factor out the greatest common factor (sin(x)).

Hi,

Thanks guys. With my teacher and your input, I understood what I did wrong:

6 sin (x) * cos (x) - sin (x) = 0

sin (6cos(x) - 1) = 0

Related to How can I find angles that satisfy 3sin(2x) = sin(x)?

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. The goal of solving a trigonometric equation is to find the values of the variables that make the equation true.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can use algebraic techniques, trigonometric identities, and properties of trigonometric functions. The key is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and use known values of trigonometric functions to find the possible solutions.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double-angle identities, half-angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities are useful in simplifying trigonometric expressions and solving trigonometric equations.

4. Can a trigonometric equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a trigonometric equation can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat their values after a certain interval. Therefore, a trigonometric equation could have infinitely many solutions within a given interval.

5. How are trigonometric equations used in real life?

Trigonometric equations are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They are used to model and solve real-world problems involving angles, distances, and periodic phenomena. For example, trigonometric equations are used in architecture to design and construct buildings, in astronomy to predict and track the movement of celestial objects, and in music to create harmonious sounds.