How can I find a unit vector that bisects the angle between two given vectors?

In summary, someone else had posted this same question before, but the answer that was given was incorrect.
mubeen916
Here's the problem I've been having difficulty with:

Find a vector with a magnitude of 1.00 that bisects the angle between the vectors 5.00i + 11.0j and 2.00i − 1.00j. Give your answer in rectangular coordinates.

Someone else had posted this same question before, but the answer that was given was incorrect.( (0.94 i + 0.34 j))

Please help by explaining the solution and how you arrived at it. I appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
mubeen916 said:
Please help by explaining the solution and how you arrived at it. I appreciate the help!

Uh-Uh. You have to show what you've tried first.

Okay, so I got the sum of both of the vectors to be (7.00i, 10.00j). I took the square root of 7^2+ 10^2, which = 12.2

Now, to get the resulting vector, I used (7.00/12.2i, 10.0/12.2j) to get (.57i, .82j). Where did I go wrong?

But you're not looking for the resultant of adding the vectors; You're looking for a vector that is (in terms of angle) halfway between them. Drawing a diagram with labeled angles might help.

Actually, I realized I had to find the corresponding unit vectors given for the vectors originally stated in the problem.
To find the unit vectors, I took the first vector (5.00i, 11.0j) and did the following:

5/ square root of 5^2+11^2i, and 11/square root of 5^2 +11^2j, which gave me the unit vector (.414j, .906j).
I did the same for the second vector (2.00i-1.00j).
2.00/square root of 2^2+-1^2i, -1/square root of 2^2+ -1^2j, which gave me the unit vector (.89i, -.447j).

Then I repeated the steps that I wrote out in my previous post using the unit vectors.

.414 + .89/ square root of (.414+.84)^2 +(.906-.447)^2 i, .906+.89/ square root of (.414+.84)^2 +(.906-.447)^2 j

which gave me the final unit vector of (.94i 1.30j). Apparently this is incorrect but I don't understand what I did wrong.

Okay, it just 'clicked' as to how your approach to the problem will work. The resultant of two unit vectors will indeed bisect them. That's fine! The difficulty must be with the implementation (i.e. finger problems with the math!).

The value you get for the x-component for the resultant looks okay. Take a closer look at the y-component. In fact, check carefully where the two values you're using in the numerator are coming from...

I'm stumped. Physics is not my thing- the answer is probably obvious, but the lightbulb hasn't gone off in my head!

Related to How can I find a unit vector that bisects the angle between two given vectors?

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1. It is used to represent the direction of a vector without any regard for its length. Unit vectors are often used in physics and mathematics to simplify calculations and to describe physical quantities.

2. How do I find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, you can divide the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with the same direction but a magnitude of 1. Another way is to use the unit vector notation, which is denoted by adding a hat (^) on top of the vector symbol.

3. What is the significance of unit vectors?

Unit vectors have several important applications in science and engineering. They are used to simplify calculations and represent physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used to describe the direction of a vector without any regard for its length.

4. Can unit vectors have negative values?

No, unit vectors cannot have negative values. As the name suggests, a unit vector always has a magnitude of 1, which is a positive value. However, unit vectors can have a negative direction, which is denoted by a negative sign in front of the vector symbol.

5. How are unit vectors used in 3-dimensional space?

In 3-dimensional space, unit vectors are used to represent the direction of a vector in three perpendicular directions: x, y, and z. These unit vectors are denoted by i, j, and k respectively. They are used to describe the orientation of objects, such as rotations and translations, in 3-dimensional space.