Infinite regression/progression

• Thread starter wavelength
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary: However, the theory of infinite regression suggests that if you split an electron, you'll get an even more elementary particle, and if you split that particle, you'll get an even more elementary particle, and so on. Similarly, the theory of infinite progression proposes that our universe is just an elementary particle in a larger universe, which is itself an elementary particle in an even larger universe, and so on. This idea has intrigued many people, but it may not lead to any new insights. Additionally, the interchangeable nature of elementary particles and universes makes it difficult to fully understand this concept.
wavelength
what are your thoughts on the theory of infinite r/p
if you don't know what it is,
Infinite regression is the idea that if you split an electron (or whatever elementary particle) you get an even more elementary particle, if you split this particle you will get a more elementay particle and so on.
Infinite progression is the idea that our universe is just an elementary particle in an even vaster universe which, in turn, is itself an elementary particle and so on...
This idea has always intrigued me since i was a kid. (not that i am any less of a punk kid now)
P.S. sorry if "Progression" is the wrong word, but you get the idea!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that this idea

has occurred to many of us, it certainly did to me. It's interesting but not very productive of insight.

When you try to "split" an electron all kinds of stuff falls out, but so far it's pretty much all been catalogued and it would be hard to describe them as "electron pieces".

The problem with the progression part is that "elementary particles" are statistically interchangable in a sense that can't really be described classicaly. The universes would have to be interchangeable too.

Originally posted by wavelength ...if you split an electron (or whatever elementary particle) you get an even more elementary particle...

Elementary particles are by definition not decomposable, i.e. if they can be split, they're not elementary.

1. What is infinite regression/progression?

Infinite regression/progression is a concept in mathematics and philosophy that refers to an endless sequence of events or objects. In infinite regression, each event or object is caused by a previous event or object, creating an infinite chain. In infinite progression, each event or object leads to the next, creating an infinite series.

2. How is infinite regression/progression relevant in science?

Infinite regression/progression is relevant in science as it helps us understand the underlying causes and effects of natural phenomena. By studying infinite regression/progression, scientists can uncover the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

3. Can infinite regression/progression be observed in the real world?

Infinite regression/progression can be observed in certain natural phenomena, such as the formation of snowflakes or the growth of a tree. These processes involve an endless repetition of smaller events or objects, resulting in a larger and more complex structure.

4. What are the implications of infinite regression/progression in science?

The implications of infinite regression/progression in science are vast and far-reaching. It challenges our understanding of causality and the concept of a beginning or end to a sequence of events. It also raises questions about the limits of human knowledge and the possibility of an infinite universe.

5. How is infinite regression/progression studied in science?

Infinite regression/progression can be studied through various mathematical and scientific methods, such as modeling, experimentation, and observation. Scientists also use theories and hypotheses to explain and predict the patterns and behaviors of infinite regression/progression in different systems and phenomena.